Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Talk Box or Vocoder

Keyboard magazine has a special this month on Vocoders. I've used one with a Zoom 2401 box. Works fine but a bit difficult.

I'm wonde3ring what wins the good sound ease of use contest. The Heil Talk Box or a Vocoder. Any opinions?

Joe Egan

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A talk box is a very different animal, as it is pretty much an electro-mechanical device and the vocoder is all-electronic. A talk box is more complex to set up, but gives a more "organic" sound. I've heard rumors they rattle your teeth, but who knows? I use the Electrix Warp Factory and think it's way cool.

jtegan@tiac.net,

I like the Digitech Talker. It might not

be the best but I like it. If you're planning on buying a Korg Triton, and don't

need a keyboard try the Korg Triton Rack.

It will have a built in Vocoder effect included when Korg releases them.

Quantum!

I use an Electro Harmonix Golden Throat II. I was lucky enough to find an EH distributor who had some brand new stock leftover from the seventies. It's a big shiny monster that weighs a ton! It sounds fantastic! It's a massively expressive effect. If used right. My favorite "talk box" peices are "Pigs:three different ones" by Pink Floyd (Animals, which by the way is a TOTALLY UNDERATED ALBUM!!!!), "Do you feel like we do" by Peter Frampton, and "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith. All different approaches. Who else used the talk box a lot? If you ask me, a vocoder is way to clean. I need the grit from a real talk box. I also don't like the auto "talker" effects. Like the auto-wah, It just don't cut it for me. I've heard about it damaging your teeth, but I've used my Golden Throat II (gotta love that name!) extensively for about 3 years with no weird side effects.

Archived