Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone have any recommendations of good headphones for project studio use (tracking/editing)?

My trusty old Sony 7506s are starting to fall apart and I'm thinking about getting something better. At first I was keen on the idea of wireless 'phones, but I've been hearing that they can be rather noisy.

I've read a lot of discussion on headphones.com about the Sennheiser HD580, which 800.com has for $199 including some DSPpro thing which I doubt I'll need. Do these type of 'phones really need a seperate amp or is it acceptable to just plug them into the headphone out on my Mackie mixer or 2408?

Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks a lot!

[This message has been edited by Sal Orlando (edited 07-20-2000).]

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are not looking for the greatest quality, check out Radio Shack Headphones, for tracking bands...

I've had lots of broken sets of headphones...

Radio Shack has a lifetime replacement warranty; for an extra $20 bucks, If anything at all happens to them they will replace them for life!

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

Thanks for the suggestion Kris, but these are for my personal use and I am willing to pay for quality.

(FWIW, I have a pair of Radio Shack Nova-40s and I find them so bad as to be unusable except in very extreme emergencies http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Any other suggestions?

You can always go with the AKG K240's. they sound great and are pretty rugged. i've lugged several pairs around for a while and they still sound great. I am assuming that you are using them for tracking and not editing, and that you have a pair of monitors for you mixing and editing. It is hard to get a good sounding mix that will transfer to any stereo system on headphones.

good luck

dan

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 565's that are very nice, they're diffuse-field and very refined-sounding, but I wouldn't use them for tracking. Most of Sennheiser's headphones are open-back designs and can be a leakage problem when tracking in isolation.

I use and recommend highly Beyerdynamic DT 770's. They sound great, they're built very well, they're comfortable for long periods, and they don't leak as much.

thanks,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your responses. The one last thing I'm not clear on (not really knowing much about electronics) is how impedance affects actual performance. I've noticed that a lot of these 'phones are 300-600 ohms, which means they are less sensitive and may not be able to be driven effectively by all types of gear, or require a seperate amp. However, something like the AKG 270s are rated at 75 ohms which suggests they will be more flexible as far as what can drive them. What I'm wondering is, what is the tradeoff of low impedance? Is there another factor involved, or all else being equal (which it never is of course) would it be better to go with lower impedance 'phones?

Thanks.

I heard a set of headphones at NAMM that blew me away. They're from Etymotic research, and basically, they're little plugs that fit right into the ear canal. The sound quality is excellent -- it truly is like a direct connection to your brain -- and it also acts like an earplug that greatly reduces outside noise. So what's not to like? First, the $300+ price tag. But also, the experience is very "unreal." I didn't buy these because I realized that mixing on speakers is still the way to go, because that's how most people are going to hear music. If I ever have some spare disposable income though, I might them just for the sheer pleasure of listening, not using them in for tracking or editing.

Craig, Why would you not use them on the artist while tracking ? What is the issue ? Could you please clarify this a little more.

I have found that the more the vocalist can hear the music & their voice - in terms of quality - the better the performance I get.

Thanks.

my guess would be sanitary.

i use the AT closed back headphones. ones with the extended bass response. they work well for outside rejection and leakage into the mic. they give a good sense of space and personally would rather track with them than sansphones.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Originally posted by Quin:

Craig, Why would you not use them on the artist while tracking ? What is the issue ? Could you please clarify this a little more.

I have found that the more the vocalist can hear the music & their voice - in terms of quality - the better the performance I get.

Well, I'm the kind of singer who always has one earcup on and one off, so that's an issue for me right there. I like to be able to hear at least a bit of my "acoustic" voice when singing.

But for your application, these may be killer. The biggest problem I would see is the inconvenience of taking them on and off if the singer goes back and forth between control room and vocal booth. With standard cans, you just rip 'em off your head and go. These take a little more effort. But let me reiterate, they sure do sound great...

Our studio has several of both the Beyer DT150 and the DT250 and we've been happy with them.

The 250s are flatter (more medium, the vocal comes through well) and the 150s have more bottom end (bass, kick) for those who prefer it that way.

I find the DT250 to be more comfortable to wear for an extended period of time.

Jon

Craig - thanks for the clarification. Are Alpha's comments on sanitation also valid here ?

As for what level (quality) of headphones and how they are used - I guess it all depends on the artist and their inate level of 'talent'.

I have modifed one set so that the only have one phone. That works - but the problem is still trying to keep leakage out of the mic - and so I have to make sure that the overall level is not too high and that there is a good seal between the head & the phone itself.

I find that the better the quality of the head phone - the lower the volume level of the mix needed, to get a decent performance - as the singer can hear themselves & the mix clearly and cleanly.

So far I have tried the Sony V6s and 7506s, various AT's - which seem to work better for the musicians than for vocalists, and have had most success with the Sennheiser's. The 580/600's are the most preferred (same capsule, different housing) - but they are open backed - which is a pain - so if I can I switch people to the 565's.

Archived