Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Electric Acoustic

Observers,

I'm thinking of adding an electric-acoustic

guitar to my equipment arsenal. Who makes

one in the best/cost-no-object range.

Who makes one that tops out in the best-for-the-money category?

Quantum!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no thanks. i try to stay away from electroacoustics. if im an a live setting, then they are alright but i really would rather mic a nice acoustic first. there is like no wood tone otherwise. but then you need a variety of acoustics. some "expensive" models dont sound right to me sometimes. too perfect maybe? i like ones with history. some that got songs of their own. raunchy acoustics. helps to pick one out if you play. you didnt mention if you did or not. if you dont, you really wouldnt know what to look for, bring someone who does, have the play a range, you listen to the sound, they tell you how well it plays.

how many out there use the pickup off an acoustic? what are you using if you do?

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

I have a beatiful Ovation - which I have used on occasions - but the sound is always a compromise between acoustic & electric - and if that is the sound you want, then Ovation, Taylor, Guild, Takamine, Gibson and others all make fine sounding instruments. The big money for guitars is normally due to the rare tone woods used in construction - not so much for the electrics. And the pickups rarely capture the tone properly - so if you want to spend your money there are better ways to spend it. Have a look at Acoustic Guitar magazine - maybe they'll have some pointers for you.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm going to assume you don't know much about acoustic guitars. It makes it easier to know where to start.

I have spent the last few years trying to perfect the amplified acoutic sound. The first step is to pick a guitar. I would stay away from guitars that have electronics already in them. When you find a guitar (I would suggest a Taylor, Larrive, Lowden, Collings, something in the $2000-3000 is very nice and still practical. You just need to find out what type of sound you like? What woods (ie. Maple tends to be brighter than Rosewood), body style (ie. jumbos will give you more low end than dreadnoughts(in most cases)), string gauge (mediums have a bigger less flimsy sound than lights (it also depends on if you are strumming a lot or fingerpicking), etc. Then comes the pick-up. I recomend L.R. Baggs Dual Source. It had a mic and a piezo which you can blend. I had a Fishman and a year later I replaced it with the Baggs. I love it (as far as the electric-acoustic sound goes). So with this combination you'll get a great sound whether you're micing it or running it direct. All that's left from that point is the DI, Mic Pre's, Room, etc. Hope this helps.

------------------

Brad McAlister

Brad McAlister

2 companies stand out in my experience. Bang for buck Tacoma is making some very nice playing and sounding stuff these days. My buddy has one of the newer cutaways(has a strange sound hole, can't remember the model, I can dig it up if you want) for about 800.00 with piezo pickup pre amp and eq. Thing plays like butter(very electric like neck and slightly bigger frets than most)and sounds real cool. It has a nice bright but not thin sound on the high end and tight bass when plugged in to PA. The low E doesn't compress at all so you can pound it and will sound good. Excellent for a piezo only guitar. The acoustic sound is what you would expect, so so, but plugged in this thing rocks.

And of course Taylor makes some really top notch guitars that sound great plugged in and also record superbly, not to mention their famous play-ability. Sure they don't have a big sound by themselves, but for recording or live through a PA big sounding guitars can have too much bass(good for BlueGrass though). I have many Taylors at my disposale and have heard many recordings done on these guitars. It would be hard to imagine a more versatile guitar.

I too love the Martins and the Gibson's etc but Taylor has defined the modern guitar as far as I am concerned. The Cedar top ones are sweet! Who would have thought?

Archived