Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Analog Mixing Console Questions

Im in the market for a 32/8 analog desk. I'am still, largely undecided on the SoundCraft Ghost and the Allen&Heath GS3000.

The Ghost's Parametric Mid EQ's have a much higher Q (6) than the GS3000 (2) . I'd much prefer a higher Q for corrective and creative use. Often there a resonant frequency in some bass sounds from either my sampler or synths that need to be eliminated. Im not so sure the GS3000 is up to it with a Q of 2 -seems to wide on paper.

Still with the EQ, it is unfortunate the Hi/Low Shelf response EQ's are fixed frequency :-)

There is still those Tube Stages in the GS3000 that make me wet.

Question ,why is it that analog desks don't have a Hi Pass filter with a variable cutoff frequency and a variable rolloff rate??? All desks seem the same with the usual 100hz freq an a 18db/octave roll off rate? I understand that most people would use these for mic's but some of us use hi-passes for other instruments and other uses.

Maybe someone could answer a quesion I have?? This may seem stupid if impossible, but to me it sounds reasonable enuff.

These analog desks have the Insert PRE EQ on all channels. This is good for Gates but not so good for compressors. I don't see any Post EQ inserts on desks....but it would seem more logical to have at least half the channels with Pre EQ Inserts an the other half Post EQ Inserts.

My question is why can't some kinda Pre/Post EQ Insert switch be adapted on an analog dest to help overcome this situation???Is this not possible?

Nice to hear some comments.

ketone

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My studio recently selected the GS3000 and have been nothing but thrilled with it. As far as the fairly wide Q, I use the PC for severe creative EQ tweaks, but the EQ on the A&H has never been prohibitive. It is very musical sounding and fine for corrective use.

I agree with the need for an adjustable hi-pass filter. That would take the A&H over the top! The on-board tube preamps haven't been that useful to me. It is somewhat of a nuisance to patch, and if I want the warm fuzzies, the ART rack stuff is a little more of the coloration I want.

I *believe* that there is a simple mod that makes the insert post-EQ, although it is again not switchable.

Anyway, I don't think you could go wrong between the Ghost and the Allen & Heath, but from my experience with the A&H, I can recommend it whole-heartedly. I REALLY like the dual inline fader setup!

I hope this is some help to you. Feel free to drill me with any questions.

------------------

Demian Norvell

AppleSeed Studios

Ruch, OR

My tendency would be to go for the board with gentle EQ, and patch in an outboard parametric for the "problem" cases. Too resonant an EQ will work very well under a limited set of circumstances, whereas too gentle an EQ will work in a limited way in a broad set of circumstances.

Back in the days when I built my own analog mixers, I built very simple, quiet, tone-shaping EQ into every channel. This took care of 80% of my needs. Outboard gear took care of the other 20%.

I tracked some live stuff on an A&H MixWizard into DA88s. These guys need to advert more - they seem way underated in the US - I had a Mackie 1604 before and the sound of the A&H pres just blew them away.

I think they have a great sound - I suppose their lagerboards are even nicer.

------------------

Steve Powell

Bull Moon Digital

Atlanta GA

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

Ketone:

I TOTALLY agree with Craig about wider "Q"s on boards. Cheaper boards tend to err on the side of tight "Q"s, making their EQs sound like Wah-Wah pedals.

It is much better to have a wide "Q" for a more natural, musical, sound, and patch in the outboard parametric to get rid of problem frequencies.

And speaking of cheaper consoles....

Better analogue consoles have, both Low and High pass, sweep-able, filters, as well as insert and patch points available, pre or post almost ANYTHING, mostly via switches.

AND, the EQ is fully parametric on, usually the two mid bands.

Check out an SSL.

THAT'S really what you're looking for...

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Bob.

[This message has been edited by THE MIX FIX (edited 06-07-2000).]

Bob Buontempo.

AKA: - THE MIX FIX

Also Hanging at: http://recpit.prosoundweb.com

Archived