Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey VMP-2 Pre-Amp

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by housesongz@aol.com:

Does any of you all own or have used the Peavey VMP-2? What are the Pros/Cons? I've heard for the money nothing comes close.

I have it and think it excels for certain things. For drums, it's incredible. What it can do to a drum kit is nothing short of wonderful. In fact, I was doing a seminar in Austin and played an example of a drum part by itself and processed through the VMP-2. A friend who lives there was sort of upset because he was using those as "secret weapons" on his drum kit.

For vocals it depends on the singer. The VMP-2 has a definite "creamy, tubey" sort of sound. It's not an ultra-crystal clear type of job. You might try it on female vocalists if you want to "sultrify" them a bit, or on "screecher" guys. I think it's a better match for a condenser mic than a dynamic.

Okay, someone else's turn.

I agree, sounds good on fem vocals. I've been using it with a Neuman TLM103 and I'm very happy.

But I'm also having good success running my keyboard dubs through it - to take the "digital" edge off of my old DX and JV synths. It'e easy because of the 1/4" inputs on the front of the unit.

It also makes drums samples a bit nicer.

The main con is that I wish there was an eight channel version so I can capture a whole drum kit at once without sub mixing.

My band recently did a session where I used these on the kick (D112)and the snare (414-Omni)as well as the overheads (AT 4050's). The sound was so fat it was great! I was originally quite bummed because the studio has a Neve 1095 Pre which I was dying to use; but the owner had taken it to use on a session elsewhere (Grrr..!). But we tried the Peavey and I was very impressed. I have heard "smooth and creamy" used to describe it, and I have to say that it lived up to that description. I am quite satisfied with the tones we got, so my vote (at least for drums)is a big thumbs up!

-Rich T

Archived