Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pick Your Brain

Hi, Craig. It's a pleasure to meet you.

I've posted this question to a couple of forums, and I thought I'd tap your expertise also. (can't get enough expert advice.)

My question is: How would you go about reducing a nasal/stuffy nose sound from a male vocal track? Any specific EQ settings,

etc.?

Thanks for all your help.

Bone

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bone1951@aol.com:

Hi, Craig. It's a pleasure to meet you.

I've posted this question to a couple of forums, and I thought I'd tap your expertise also. (can't get enough expert advice.)

My question is: How would you go about reducing a nasal/stuffy nose sound from a male vocal track? Any specific EQ settings,

etc.?

Thanks for all your help.

Bone

I can't offer any specific EQ settings, but I would think that reducing the lower midrange (around 300-400 Hz) a bit might help. Also try a little boost around 3.5k to give some brightness, but without getting into treble-land.

Anyone else have any clues?

Thanks for your time Craig. I'll try to cut/boost those frequencies.

Thanks also alphajerk. I'm not sure how to reverse a de-esser, but I'll give it a shot.

All the best.

Bone http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by Bone1951@aol.com:

Thanks for your time Craig. I'll try to cut/boost those frequencies.

Thanks also alphajerk. I'm not sure how to reverse a de-esser, but I'll give it a shot.

All the best.

A de-esser usually puts a high-pass filter in a compressor's insert loop so that high frequencies are compressed more than lower frequencies, thus bringing down their level. The trick here would be to insert a midrange filter in the insert loop, with the midrange tuned to the right frequency to minimize "nasalisms." Alphajerk, is that what you had in mind, or something else?

yea, i guess. i thought a desser was a compressor with 4300khz keyed on the sidechain. i would flip it the other way, you would have to use an eq on the sidechain instead of a desser unit. regardless i would maybe multiband compress and hit the nasal part more and crank the highs.

is the singing nasaly or sound like a cold? they are two different but similar things. nasaly they just sing up in their nose. having a cold sound like they are stuffed up. depending on that i dunno. i would work with multiband compression or flipping a desser rather than eq. eq will just enhance the honk i think no matter what you do.

is it just a bad singer or if its the way they want to sound then leave it alone. could you retrack it?

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Hi, alphajerk

Actually, I'm the singer. I really didn't notice the stuffiness when I recorded the vocal. I was having a "good" allergy day and breathing through both nostrils at the same time!!

Of course I could always retrack it, but the performance came out pretty good, and so I thought I'd try to fix it first.

I'm going to try yours and Craig's suggestions and see what happens. If need be, I'll just re-record the vocal and hope for the best.

Thanks again for all your help.

Archived