Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you are interested in mic preamps...

great idea on the Yamaha - but then I'd probably start obsessing over the sound of the piano. you have to cut the soundboard to put one of those in and though they claim it does no real harm, how good a piano is someone going to let go to be cut on? I guess if you get it from Yamaha and they know it will be widely listened to, that may help.

[This message has been edited by stevepow (edited 07-07-2000).]

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing you might consider for the next go-round is using a Disklavier

(MIDI-driven acoustic grand piano). This would eliminate the performance

variable.

A very good idea indeed. I'm in the process of lining up the preamps for the next one and will consider that option.

I did consider it for this first listening party, but decided against it becuase I rarely audition preamps on acoustic piano. I've done it three times in 15 years.

But if people think that it might be more telling than vocals or other instruments, then maybe that's a viable option for next time. I know it's about the only thing that is acoustic and is 100% accurately reproducible. Or at least one would expect it to be. Does anyone have any experience with these? I do know that some MIDI sequencers have problems with lots of notes and frequently will never play back a sequence with the same exact timing twice in a row. Might that be a factor?

Open to suggestions, as always...

------------------

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Music Mixing and Mastering

on a scenic hilltop overlooking historic

Franklin, TN

http://www.3daudioinc.com

email: go3daudio@aol.com

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Home of 3dB

>>I do know that some MIDI sequencers have problems with lots of notes and frequently will never play back a sequence with the same exact timing twice in a row. Might that be a factor?<<

I don't think you want a very complicated melody line, which is where MIDI would have the greatest chance of problems. In this kind of dedicated environment, though, I imagine any errors would be relatively consistent.

The question is what kind of program material would best show off the differences among preamps. I think a single low note, mid note, high note, some chords, and some arpeggios would be best...but that's speculation, I've never done this type of testing.

If I remember correctly, the Disklavier has an internal sequencer, with a floppy drive for loading performances. They have some by well-known pianists, I think. I'm not sure if the internal resolution is any better than MIDI, but the mechanical slop is probably worse anyway.

Maybe you could use Gymnopedie #1 and the Hammerklavier Sonata, to cover a wide tonal range.

Beethoven's 9th in 60 seconds, no less.

The next Pre-LP will feature at least as many options, with preamps and probably several large-format console modules along with some small consoles, like 02R, DA-7, d8b, and possibly others.

I think the piano source is probably a good idea. I'll just need to determine a great, short playing sample. Maybe we'll record one.

------------------

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Franklin, TN

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Home of 3dB

I think a piano is a great idea for your test. Yamaha makes the best piano sounds on the market, and either the Disklavier or the Clavinova would give you consistent and reliable recordings. These are no cheesy keyboards, and MIDI is no limitation with these instruments -- plenty of polyphony. Both use a 3 1/2 inch disk drive (although some Clavinova models don't have a drive). Listeners could also make the ultimate comparison by going to a local dealership

and hear them live.

Originally posted by swright50@excite.com:

I think a piano is a great idea for your test. Yamaha makes the best piano sounds on the market, and either the Disklavier or the Clavinova would give you consistent and reliable recordings. These are no cheesy keyboards, and MIDI is no limitation with these instruments -- plenty of polyphony. Both use a 3 1/2 inch disk drive (although some Clavinova models don't have a drive). Listeners could also make the ultimate comparison by going to a local dealership

and hear them live.

The Disklavier's we're talking about are grand pianos with a mechanism added on that "plays" the piano - sort of like an old player piano, but with diskettes instead of rolls of paper. Other than midi timing issues, they should sound like a real paino because they are.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

• 5 weeks later...

Excuse my lack of experience,

But I haven't used half of those PREs you guys are talking about. But I got this piece of plugin called Antares Microphone modeler.

Since I haven't used most of the actual mics modeled, I don't really know yet how accurate this plugin is other than I like using the Manley reference and the Neumann U87. Does this stack up to those PREs you guys are listening to or should I get a better "real" Pre than my TLAudio?

Lynn, how do I get you CD here in Cebu, Phil.

Joel

You can order at www.3daudioinc.com/order.htm.

Also, the 3D Pre CD Volume 2 with male vocal and snare drum will be shipping just in time for AES. Late September. Same price, same preamps, different acoustic sources.

------------------

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Franklin, TN

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Home of 3dB

Yes, this is a forum, and we've been down this road before - just read the early messages. Ultimately, people have found the product really interesting, it's a "labor of love" that will probably not break even, and it has generated a lot of discussion about mic pres. Also, I checked it out, and this is legit. So, it's allowed to hang around here - unlike many other folders that were ads, but which I managed to delete before too many people saw them!!

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Anderton:

Yes, this is a forum, and we've been down this road before - just read the early messages. Ultimately, people have found the product really interesting, it's a "labor of love" that will probably not break even, and it has generated a lot of discussion about mic pres. Also, I checked it out, and this is legit. So, it's allowed to hang around here - unlike many other folders that were ads, but which I managed to delete before too many people saw them!!

At the risk of sounding like an "ad" and getting flamed for the third time, I want to inform everyone that the 3D Pre CD Volume 2 will begin shipping *before* AES, in the next two weeks.

You an place an order now at my web site. This CD has male vocal and snare drum samples recorded through the same 33 preamps. We also picked some favorites on snare drum and listened to them back to back.

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

On a scenic hilltop outside of historic

Franklin, Tennessee http://www.3daudioinc.com

email:go3daudio@aol.com

Lynn Fuston

3D Audio Inc

Home of 3dB

Archived