Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does it suck because it sells?

i couldnt disagree more. now if we are talking swimming in the pool with the chiquita banana girl while err singing la cucaracha.

of course if you could play bach well, then you could play super duper ritzy places and have sugar momma's trying to pick you up nightly so i dont really see how you would starve.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Question is: WHAT is that sideways manner? >Right now, we'd all be slapping our >foreheads too if (when) that happens.

What I mean by "sideways" is that there could be a way to become a mainstream success that doesn't follow the normal channels. Hmm.. "The Blair Witch Project" would be something like that, a situation that defies the standard logic about how something is done but manages to break through anyhow.

For instance, what I forsee is this:

Somebody comes up with a prank recording satirizing a popular icon. Because of Napster and Gnutella it spreads around and rises "above the horizon" in public consciousness. Maybe people stick it on a cd to play for their less wired friends. Soon, because it *is* so well done it garners the attention of a few radio stations and they play it as a joke... and then it accidentally becomes mainstream and picked up by a major. That would be a sideways way of "becoming successful", in that it doesn't follow the normal path of demo>lawyer>shop>sign>promote.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

>>What I mean by "sideways" is that there could be a way to become a mainstream success that doesn't follow the normal channels. <<

Well,I'm a partially good example of that. My music does not have the commercial potential of Backstreet Boys et al, but enough people like it that it's worth putting out a CD every now and then (with me it's like once a decade...what can I say, I'm a slow worker). While I was never a mainstream success except for a couple of years back in the late 60s, the word gets around, and has led to various production, mastering, and playing gigs. It's not enough to cover me financially, but I have the writing, MusicPlayer.com, seminars, etc. for that. But this allows me to do the kind of music I want to do, without compromise, and while I'll probably never get rich from it, I get to do what I want and a certain number of people get to enjoy it. Am I successful musically? My Seagram's standards, no. By my standards, almost...I just wish I could be doing more of it, but even that seems to be taking an upturn lately.

Archived