Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey Terry,thanks for being generous with your knowledge.I've recently purchased an intonateable stop tailpeice for my 56' Les Paul Jr.The workmanship looks excellent,but when my repairman went to install it he found it to raise the action too high,even with the posts screwed down tight.He called too get some tips, and the bridge maker reportedly suggested filling the high e post hole with a peice of mahogany and setting the bridge flat even(not slanted as original) to make for better contact, and easier intonation adjustment.He said it would also improve the guitars overall performance somehow.This idea makes me a little uncomfortable as it is my favorite guitar.The intonation isn't really all that bad,but I know you are familiar with chasing that extra 5% of tonal excellence and performance.What causes an old warhorse like this to run out of room?It plays and sounds amazing,but I always wish for it to stay more in tune like my Telecaster.Does this suggestion make sense to you?I need a second opinion.Any tips or insights are welcome.--Thanks,Kenny

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd stay away from pegging and redrilling those bridge holes. Let's not irreversably mod this great old gtr!

Apparently the neck's pitch relative to the body is too shallow for the new bridge.

Put the old bridge back on, set the action at the 12th fret the way that you like it to be, then install the new bridge, lower it all of the way, and measure the 12th fret action. Doubling the difference betwixt the "new" and "old" action will tell you exactly how much metal would be needed to be milled off of the new bridge's underside, in order to replicate your preferred action. You may want to add an additional 1/16th " to allow for a bit more adjustment.

Next, contact the bridge maker, and see if it would be possible for him to rework the bridge in this fashion. It'll be helpful to be able to tell him exactly how much metal has to be removed. Your above calculations will give you this info.

If all else fails, go ahead and enjoy the gtr with the original bridge. Congratulations for being hesitant to modify your old LP. Best of luck to you!

Terry McInturff www.mcinturffguitars.com

Archived