Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

plexi marshall effects loop?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by khohman@nycap.rr.com:

I have heard that you can jump effects between channels of a 4 input style marshall amp like an effects loop,but tried and failed.I went like this:guitar-input1-input2out-effects-input3.Any tips?Thanks,kenny

What makes an effects loop valuable is that it lets you place processors between the preamp and power amp. If you just add the effect at the input stage, you might as well just insert it between your instrument and amp, or use a Y-cord or splitter if you want to drive other inputs as well.

On some of the older Marshalls, there was a difference in tone between the two channels; some players liked the results when you jumped the two together to combine the tones.

However, if you use this "jump" approach to add an effect, you're only going to get it on one of the channels; the other will be dry, and as Craig explains, since they're both pre-preamp, you're not going to get the same results as you would with a regular post-preamp/pre-poweramp effects loops.

Regardless, it should work to jump in this way. Are you using a guitar-level effect, or is it a line-level box? Does it work to jump the channels with no effect inserted?

------------------

Mitch Gallagher

Editor

EQ magazine

[This message has been edited by EQ_Editor (edited 08-22-2000).]

the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor

Thanks for the reply's.You are right Mitch,the idea is to have your straight tone governed by vol.1,and your wet sound by vol.2 on such a 4 input Marshall.Thank's for the effects loop clarification Craig,I guess this isn't a true loop,just a cheat to get a better blend.The effects I'm using are pretty standard,a deluxe memory man,wah,fuzz,and a fender tube reverb unit.I'm going to give it another go,cause it may have been some human error at the gig.I have jumped the channel's before succesfully with out putting the effect's in between.I'll let you know if it work's this time.------Thank's again,Kenny

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by khohman@nycap.rr.com:

governed by vol.1,and your wet sound by vol.2 on such a 4 input Marshall.Thank's for

standard,a deluxe memory man,wah,fuzz,and a fender tube reverb unit.I'm going to give it

Channel 1 is unbelievably bright unless you crank it to 10, in which case the channel 2 input is going to be really dark...?

I don't see any advantage to this anyhow; I suppose you're trying to avoid running through all these things at the same time? The Memory Man and the reverb would be cool in parallel since you don't need a blended signal for that - and you can set them for a full effects mix, but the wah output recombined with the straight signal is going to sound strange. Not to mention, for it to sound effective it has to effect your *entire* sound, which can't happen... The fuzz again will only be operating on part of your sound.

Something else - I don't know what causes this, but on most non-master Marshalls if you turn them up on one channel, cranking the other channel alters the sound, regardless if anything is plugged in...

You can try using the low sensitivity input on the same channel as an effects return, but it makes your straight sound poor (lack of bass response, weird sensitivity) I assume from impedance loading?

Marshalls and "high quality/clean effects reproduction" is non-sequiter, the "ear to the conch shell" effect is life with a Marshall combined with gain. An effects loop in a cranked Marshall is still going to sound garbled, and part of the charm of the whole thing is the compression effects being applied to the reverb and delay (ala Eric Johnson)anyhow.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Archived