Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

File sharing applications

One thing I wasn't able to put in the FAQ (re moving your finished files) was file sharing. Under BeOS, there's a great app called BeShare, which is a server-based chat that does P2P file transfers. I had used it for a couple of collaborations, but their other platform clients never fully matured AFAIK.

So I'm wondering about options: I found a thing called BitWise which looks promising - anyone tried it, or have something else?

I think the criteria should include cross-platform compatibility (don't want to exclude anyone just because of their choice of computer), it should be freely available (cuz we is all poor :D ), and of course it shouldn't do anything nasty to the computer or expose it to the world any more than is reasonable (it IS the Interweb, after all...).

I'd like to test out BitWise (or something else?) - anyone game?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give it a go. I'm on as daklander....

Something else, other than ftp is the Yahoo briefcase. I believe it can be set up very similat to p2p with public folders or private, accessible with a password.

From their website.

"How is BitWise different from other IM programs such as AIM, ICQ, Yahoo or MSN?

There are three answers to this question. First, BitWise is different because it is not supported by advertising or spyware. When using BitWise, whether the program itself, the website, or the forums, there are no distracting ads. Along with this comes an increased privacy-- BitWise doesn't need any information about you to target ads to you.

Secondly, BitWise is committed to providing high-quality software. Software quality has declined rapidly in the past few years, which is unacceptable to us. Our testing stages are very long and rigorous to ensure only the highest quality software is released to you.

Third, BitWise works across all major PC platforms without any difficulty. Windows, Linux and Mac OS X all work harmoniously together. Many other services suffer problems when interoperating, but there are no such problems in BitWise. Every feature works, all of the time, on each platform."

By the way, I was on line all of about 5 minutes when I got a note from one of the Bitwise creators. Looks like it will work well for p2p, though it's not true p2p, with no file size limits and speed limited to our connections. Though their server has to be hit in the process to verify entity, the files go direct.

"Collab Corner" chat room is created.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

UPDATE: dak & I got things set up yesterday; file sharing wasn't too bad, but takes a couple of tweaks if you're behind a firewall or router - of course, this is true for any bi-directional transfer program.

For me, I had to tell my router to pass the appropriate port # to my computer, and then it worked fine. (FYI, I had to do the same for the FTP server I had set up on previous projects.)

Supposedly, the transfer spee is only limited by your connection...but we found it really slow. I'm going to talk to the guy who writes the program & see what his thoughts are.

You know AOL Instant Messenger Includes file transfer capablities. I've use that and it works fine.

I ran across this a while back- Wormhole and it sounds promising. The cool thing about that is you just drag and drop files, to send them. I talked to the owner of the company by e-mail, and he offered me a free trial between multiple accounts, and also a discount if a group of us went in on his software. He'd probably still do that. I think he quoted me a price of five bucks per person.

Didn't know that. I'm not an IM user really...

About the speed - we did some testing, and Kevin says that the problem is probably with my ISP - they use a high-numbered port for direct connections, and apparently some ISPs put throttles on these ports, restricting the bandwidth. :mad:

He says that the next release is supposed to address this, but it won't be for a while yet. So - back to the drawing board...

• 2 weeks later...

I've regularly used AIM for file transfers. The wormhole link is down, so I can't check it out, but drag and drop is always cool. The only question would be whether it supports folders. Very few utilities do.

We could potentially use Bit Torrent for file transfers. That way we could provide better transfer bandwidth as a whole as pieces would come from anyone else with the file. For transfers we could just email a 10kb file and the recipient only needs to double click to initiate the transfer at their convenience. No worries about setting times for transfers and such.

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some interesting info on Bit Torrent from my previous post. Microsoft is using Bit Torrent to distribute Windows XP Service Pack 2 since the burden is more than Microsoft can handle.

http://downhillbattle.org/posts.php?p=181

I think on a project of any reasonable size, BT could be a great solution for transferring.

No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Archived