Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anatomy of a Song

I'm going to post here what was an idea brought about from various sources around and outside the forum (phaeton, Ani, et al.).

In the next post will be a cut sheet (minus tempo) for a song I composed. No lyrics are included. The goal will be for various people (teams are okay) to take this cut sheet and to make a song out of it and compare the differences. I would be willing to set up space to host the project depending on demand.

Liberties may be taken as desired to make the song fit your style. I don't expect my style to work universally. Anyway, enjoy, discuss, let me know if you have any questions, and maybe I'll write a new song, too, just to see what happens!

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Primary Key: C major

Verse Chord Progression:

Dm7 C G

Dm7 C G

A C G

A Dm G

Chorus Chord Progression:

F Am

F GCGCGG

F Am

F GCGCGG

Break1:

GCGC

(little "riff" is just notes F#-G-B-C)

Verse repeats

Tacit ONE measure of 2/4

Chorus repeats

Bridge section:

Em C

Dm F G

Em C

Dm F G

F G

Guitar Solo!

Solo uses Chorus chord progression.

Tacit all instruments except solo guitar one measure of 4/4

Chorus repeats

Break 1 riff

Tacit on beat 1. End on beat 2 of following measure.

C7

-----------

John\'s Songs

The question now, is whether or not we want to limit it to one song at a time, or whether we can let everyone post a plethora of songs/lyrics so folks can select one.

??

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I'm not asking anyone to write a song for me. There is a project already in place regarding the posted chord progression. What I'm trying to see is if the song, no how the song changes in other people's hands. You'll notice I'm giving very little information about the actual song. This is to influence you as little as possible.

The actual work in progress is a copyrighted work, with lyrics, melody, orchestration (if you will), and so on. If your song sounds like the one this cut sheet represents, there is nothing that can be done legally by either party. If copyright is addressed in court, then your version won't win.

That said, I'm hoping this takes off. If so, I'll post some of my "very old" song's cut sheets and see what you guys come up with!

John

P.S. I've already butchered the chord progression to come up with something much different. When I finish, I'll post it. It will prove to be absolutely unlike the original song in any way.

-----------

John\'s Songs

I'm not asking anyone to write a song for me. There is a project already in place regarding the posted chord progression. What I'm trying to see is if the song, no how the song changes in other people's hands. You'll notice I'm giving very little information about the actual song. This is to influence you as little as possible.

Exactly.

And I don't want to hear your current project, as it may influence me. Just messing around with it, i am hearing something coming together, and it's probably not what you have ;)

I guess this because this "form" doesn't fit any of my material, so it's probably in a different genre and style than i've ever written for. But i'll hack away at it and get it together ;)

I could post some lyrics (not for this, but for something else) if someone wants to fool with them.

WWND?

That's right phae,

In fact, I found myself coming up with something completely different just as a matter of course. Have you ever come up with a chord progression and strummed it and thought "that sounds great, let me record that" and you go to hit record and the timing is just different enough that the "magic" is lost? I do that all the time. I can't stand it.

Another question is in regards to song structure. You stated that you usually don't write songs that way, in that "form." It would be interesting for people to compare how they approach a song in another thread. Actually there're probably many of these already in the Songwriters' Forum.

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

Yes, that happens to me sometimes- where i hit record, and what comes out isn't what i was playing for the last 10 minutes. I also have a problem where i'll come up with a really neat riff or section, and in the process of playing it over and over (to remember it/get it down solid) something else comes out and pollutes it. Then i have something similar, but not the same as what was there before.

I also note that my "off the cuff" solos are usually awesome the first time around, but with every successive take, they become less spontaneous and energetic, and more contrived and boring.

The above ties in with putting down a rough set of sketch tracks to try out an idea... The test comes out ok, but with a few warts and whatnot. But when i set up to do a "serious" attempt at it, it just doesn't have the same "life" to it.

With this cutsheet of yours, i was having a hard time finding a G-->Dm7 transition in the verse that i liked. Starting a verse on a ?m7 isn't something that i'm accustomed to doing, so i'm already approaching something different ;)

I've got a couple of angles that i'm attacking it with, atm.

Right now i'm working on a way to get the GCGCGG part of the chorus to "fit in" with what i've got for the verse.

WWND?

I don't expect everyone to be literal about it, but it will be interesting to hear it through other people's minds.

Soloing is the worst of the "Red Light Daemons." You hit record, go for it, it sounds great "except for that last part," so you do another take and it blows. I usually either keep the original or take parts of several tracks that I like and composite them together.

Anyway, have fun on the song. I may do another one of these with a different song to see how it goes, too. I hope others are working quietly on this if they are interested; I haven't heard a peep!

John

-----------

John\'s Songs

Archived