Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Microsoft blocked an email attachment....

I received an email from support@microsoft.com stating that Outlook had blocked a potentially dangerous file. There was NO information as to who the sender was, but the topic was "RE: Movie." The microsoft email did not give any specifics other than... doc_details.pif

I had PM'd a player requesting that a file be sent my direction, as he does not have anything online and had stated he would provide recordings via email to requesting managers.

I don't know if this player was attempting to send me a video of a live performance, as many musicians are going this route with digital technology, or if MS caught a violator trying to deliver a virus. As many firewalls and virus scan programs mess with .exe, .pif, and other extensions relative to graphics programs; a video of music materials would be targeted.

I don't want to give the name of the player, but if someone has tried to email me a video of their performance, please send me an email without the attachment first; then we can try to figure out how to get past Outlook's security barriers for the delivery of your file.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Som-bitch........... I just updated everything two days ago!!!

Is there at removal tool that you are aware of?

BTW, you know what the MOST ironic thing about it is; the very following TWO emails that I received were from McAfee announcing their newest version, and ScanSoft of which I deleted prior to reading. I run Norton............

Som-bitches planted the damn seeds to try and sell themselves my way!!!

Som-bitch... I'm :mad:

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Ran an update two days ago!!! Started to this morning and got sidetracked. I made a mistake of trying to download Shorten, and to make sure no critical files were destroyed by antivirus, I disabled the firewall.............

BEWARE OF "SHORTEN".... I know that's how the little bastard got in!!!

SOM-Bitch :o:o:o

The Shorten file was corrupt and missing a DLL; it was inoperable upon receipt.

But, in the very same instance, perhaps my email client was vulnerable to attack while in the process of having my guards down for just a short stint. You're prolly right......... is NAV a virus clean-up software? Well heck, I'll check to see what Norton has for removal tools.

Addix,

I just came from the Symantec site, and I may be close to being on target with acquiring this through Shorten...

W32.HLLW.Redist@mm is a mass-mailing worm that attempts to email itself to all the contacts in the Windows Address Book. The email will have a subject line and attachment chosen from a predetermined list. The attachment will have a .exe, .pif, or .scr file extension. The worm also attempts to spread itself through the KaZaA file-sharing network.
here's the link

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.redist@mm.html

this is included on down the page a way...

Displays the following fake message:

Title: Error Starting Program

I'm going attempt using the tools for this worms to remove what hit me.

If a worm is attaching itself to the KaZaA file-sharing network, people need to be aware of it, and it's very possible that Shorten is on it's target list as well.

RIAA STRIKES BACK!!!

I'm not trying to be stubborn; just really bummed that I have to jack around with getting rid of a virus.

If you downloaded from Kazaa, yeah Shorten may have been infected. I doubt that there's enough people going to the Shorten website for a virus freak to go there to do the dirty deed. :freak:

Oh by the way, I can upload my copy of the Shorten program to one of my webstorage areas so you can download it. :D

Send me a PM through the forum. I've been watching my email like a hawk since I heard about a new virus raging so I don't open much. Once you're clear of the thing let us know.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I actually bookmarked the site I downloaded from as it had been suggested to teams players as a potential recording device that would provide required formats.

Here is the link from where I accessed the download.

http://etree.org/shnutils/shorten/

I'm almost sure that Shorten is the cause because the first things to start acting up is my MusicMatch Jukebox Plus. It's keep shutting down on me now.

I called tech support at Host Depot and inquired as to the nature of this virus; the tech said that the virus had been attacking several file-sharing programs such as Kazaa, but he had not heard Shorten mentioned yet. He said that it could be a likely candidate though. He also said the virus was concealing itself inside of zip files and upon opening; the file would infect the operating system immediately.

I actually uninstalled the Shorten file when I got the missing DLL message because I didn't want the excess baggage on my hard drive. I may download it again from the same location, before I get a fix, so that I have something to hand to Symantec, as Addix suggested.

Archived