Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synchronizing the tracks...

OK... Somebody help me out here.

With forum members using disparate equipment and software, how are the tracks going to synchronize?

If I get a WAV file, for instance, I'm assuming that Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 can import it or open it into one track. It could be a stereo track, right?

But what about the click?

And if I add a new track, do I mix the tracks in Cakewalk & output the mix to a new WAV file (in stereo, perhaps?)

I apologize for my ignorance guys, but without a common program between us, I still don't see how new tracks will be added to the project.

Once new tracks have been added, then we can burn the file to a CD-R and mail it to others - and finally to someone else who will do the final mix and perhaps the master.

Hep me somebody! :rolleyes:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes if you record everything starting at zero.. so all the track line up at the left hand side its easy to scync... compress the waves useing shorten and it compress it "nothing" space in to nothign... as opposed to sending 20 mins of zeros of the internet.

kevin nemrava...

we did this for the GT3 project .. worked well.

Kevin Nemrava

1) Start with a basic track, with a count-off - very important!

2) Do whatever it is you are going to do to create your track(s).

3) Export your single track(s) as full-length WAV files, i.e. if you play a solo on the 3rd verse, export the silence from the beginning as well.

If you don't have an option for doing this on a track-by-track basis, you can mute everything else and then export.

The end result should be a file that is in sync with the others, when the beginnings are lined up.

This is how I did things in BeOS, with no multitrack recorder (only a multitrack playback mixer) - it works just fine.

Ummm, and you need to make sure that everyone is at the same tempo, too. If someone is at 80 BPM and someone else is at 120 BPM, it could cause problems.

As far as syncing, the click track should be an effective way of keeping everyone on the same page. You might want to something like a measure of silence, 2 measures of click, then start. I doesn't really matter if you adjust that a little, as long as the team all sticks to the same format.

I really don't know what to put here.

OK, I'll try it.

I wonder if there are any Cakewalk users here? Maybe they can walk me through it.

But, if I got a WAV file, and knew what the tempo is, I guess I'd have to IMPORT it into Cakewalk. I don't think I could simply OPEN it like a standard file that it would automatically place on track 1. (right? ...anybody?)

Once I got it into Cakewalk and synced to the measures, I would be happy becuase then I could record audio AND MIDI files. I could edit the MIDI files until satisfied, then record the AUDIO track.

I'd then make two WAV files to send out to others: 1. a MIX of the WAV file that *I* received plus my track(s) and 2. a WAV file of just my track(s) for the guy who's going to make the master.

Am I on track here or not really? I'm sure that once I do this the first time, I won't have a problem with it later on.

But what if I receive an MP3 file? I think that I would need to record it to a WAV format before Cakewalk can IMPORT it - right?

Thanks,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tom, yes, in Cakewalk, or Sonar or most other DAW software for that matter, wav files would need to be imported. If everything works out well, you shouldn't have to do any syncing if you are at the correct tempo.

It might take a little fiddling, but I don't think you'll have a problem.

MP3s? Hmmmmm, I think Cakewalk should be able to import MP3 tracks if you aren't using an ancient version of it. If it doesn't there are plenty of freeware audio format converters out there.

I really don't know what to put here.

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

I'd then make two WAV files to send out to others: 1. a MIX of the WAV file that *I* received plus my track(s) and 2. a WAV file of just my track(s) for the guy who's going to make the master.

This is my first time doing anything like this too, so I'm just figuring it out.

But the MIX wav may be unnecessary. A rough mix wav will be needed by everyone that records a track, but if every person recorded a mix wav, I think that might create confusion- there will be dozens of MIX wavs floating around.

It should be up to the manager to have an updated "work mix" track or tracks for players to use as a guide.

Then again... a player won't want a "work mix" that contains the instrument that they're overdubbing.

I'm adding this to my "manager's list of things to think about"...

I'm thinking along the same lines as ChrisotpherKemp.

As long as everyone starts with the same scratch foundation track, syncing shouldn't be a problem. Just include any silence in your mixed down .wav.

Gas,

You haven't put your name down in the registration; ARE YOU IN??? We'll work out details later!!!! If you are in, get your butt over to the player sign up thread and put you name and skills down....

http://www.musicgearnetwork.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000091;p=1

Procrastinatin' are ya? :D

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

As long as everyone is aware of the bpm of the tune, we should have no problems. We should ensure that everyone records at the same bitrate as well, some programs may not be able to combine wav files of different bit resolutions.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

This is why the REASON guys are gonna just beat our asses! :freak:

Actually, I've always wanted to record a song where all of the player get a 4 count at the beginning and THAT'S IT... You don't hear a click, you don't hear the other parts. You just play or sing your part in time and in tune to the best of your ability!

I think the final mix would be a riot! :D

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived