Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can anyone lend an ear on a mix?

Hello,

I've just recorded a radio jingle for the first time. (link below) The mix does not sound right to me. I'd like to bring out the vocals more or bring them "closer" without simply adjusting the gain.

Any advice would be great!

I used Pro-Tools 5.3 & Waves reverb / EQ plug-ins.

Thank You

Vince

:Link to the jingle:

http://amishchicago.com/JINGLE-MIX-1.mp3

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vince, to me it sounds like there is an awful lot going on in that upper mid area. The drums, guitar, vocal and bass are all in the same sonic area, so boosting the vocals will just make things sound more cluttered.

If you eq'd the instruments that way, I'd suggest re-eqing and dipping the bass in that 5k range and adding some lows and maybe a little touch of low mids to start.

But the real problem is the guitar vs. vocal, they are pratically identical in tone. The vocal is probably where you want it, so maybe if you roll off the 5k on the guitar 2-3db and raise the high shelf a bit to give it some air.

Keep in mind that I'm not a techno wiz, and I usually have the luxury of just messing around until it sounds right. YMMV.

If you haven't eq'd the instruments a lot, and you recorded them that way, you may be stuck.

I really don't know what to put here.

I think Sylver is on the right track with some bouncing around with eqs. For the most part the levels seemed to be ok though with different eq'ing that may change. My ears seem to hear some overdrive in the lead vocal too. I'd also move some things left and right in the mix but that's just me. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Archived