Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Logic For OS X is Out!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very cool (as a Logic user who just ordered a new dual 1Ghz G4) and very interesting ... especially the bit about Audio Units. If Logic will no longer support VST, and MOTU (natively) and Digi already don't support it, that leaves a completely fractured Mac plug-in market, one format per program. If Audio Units has the synergy with OS X that Apple and Emagic claim, could this spell the beginning of the end for VST (Mac), MAS, and RTAS? Marv

Emagic's decision to support only Core Audio as a hardware standard and Audio Units as a plugin standard, and avoid VST, VSTi, ASIO, ReWire, OMF, REX files, etc is probably a bigger and more convoluted thing than we know. ASIO, VST and VSTi have been a sore spot for Emagic for years. By staying so proprietary (which seems to be their corporate nature), Emagic ceded the authority to set these standards to Steinberg years ago. Ever since, they've complained about unfair conditions in implementing support for those standards. IMO, it's their own dang fault if that was the case. So there's likely a bit of logic in moving to Audio Units only, mixed with a good dose of "mad as hell and not going to take it (VST) anymore". The big question is whether *all* of the plugin makers will take the time and divert the development resources to support Audio Units ASAP. What if just a few key developers opt out or drag their feet. Waves, Antares, NI, and a number of others would present a big problem for Emagic if they are slow to support Audio Units. Especially if other OSX apps support the existing standards like MAS and VST in addition to Audio Units. If that happens, Emagic is likely to have to comply to stay competitive, and end up playing catch up all over again. This is a gutsy move, IMO. Very good, or very bad news in the end. Should be interesting. In any event, it's a year until enough support exists to move from Logic on OS9 to Logic on OSX for most users, I woulf guess. Regards, Brian T

Regarding industry-wide support for Core Audio...it is my understanding that any audio I/O system will *have* to support Core Audio under OS X. And that's a good thing as there are too many different standards under OS 9. Same thing with Audio Units...it's a hassle for both musicians and developers to have to deal with so many different standards, so I'm all in favor of a single plugin format for OS X. All plugins will have to be updated (Carbonized) to run under OS X anyway, so why not standardize on a single format controlled by Apple? And in Emagic's statement they claim they're developing a library that will greatly facilitate the porting of Carbonized VST plugins to Audio Unit format. Anyway, just downloaded and installed Logic 5.3 on my Powerbook G4 with X 10.2...now it's time to play ;-)

[quote]Originally posted by dino321: [b]So now Apple has you by the hardware AND software balls. If you use Logic you are totally subservient to one company that dictates how your software will work and what you will run it on. Windows has never looked better for audio.[/b][/quote]At least OSX promises standardised multichannel audio and support for MIDI. Windows is often flakey as hell for audio and MIDI ... what MIDI? Those Macs have never looked better for audio (and I'm a Windows (ab)user)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by dino321: [b]So now Apple has you by the hardware AND software balls. If you use Logic you are totally subservient to one company that dictates how your software will work and what you will run it on. Windows has never looked better for audio.[/b][/quote][b]BULLSHIT![/b] AudioUnits is basically the next generation of what Sound Manager was and, that's what allowed us to us Macs for music [b]WITHOUT[/b] a stupid soundcard in the first place. Now 5.1 and 32bit processing is built into the system. :p Stop crying and go tell Bill to get on the stick. Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Big deal. Until more manufacturers release OSX drivers for their hardware, it's just a pretty thing to look at. As a PCI-324/2408MkII user, I wish MOTU would get on the stick. Until they do, I'll just have to keep rebooting into 9.2.2 and using Logic 5.2. George

Archived