Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electronic drum/sequencer advice needed...

Van Hammersley

I'm considering adding some electronics to my acoustic set, mainly to add some sequenced beats, simple samples, and to use as a general timekeeper/metronome during live performances.

I don't really want to buy a whole kit, so I've been looking at pads and the like...such as Roland's SPD-S Sampling Drum Pad, or a module like the Alesis DM5, hooked up with a couple pads...

Anyone have any advice on setups like these, or have experience using electronics in this manner? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to do my 'homework' before I go dropping a load of dough on something that might not be what I need....

Thx!! Van

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The SPD-S is really cool, but does not have a sequencer. You'd need something with loop capability like the Korg Electribe type boxes. But you'd have to use this in conjunction with a pad type surface (via MIDI) if you want to hit anything with sticks. I'm still waiting for a rhythm friendly sequencer/drumpad/sampler with trigger inputs, but nobody's invented it yet.
Just for the record.

• 2 weeks later...

As has already been pointed out, you will need some type of sequencing program (most drummers use a laptop running a software application) - or more often there is a keyboard player running the sequence.

As a drummer, one of the most important things to consider is monitoring and blending the electronics into the mix with your accoustic kit.

In most cases you will send the electronics to your board (although less often drummer have something like an on stage amp/speaker - keyboard combos work well for this)and if those sounds are goind thru the mains, you need the accoustics thru the mains to assure a good blend. This means enough mics on the drums for the same level of speration and clarity that the electronics have. Naturally, this also means your PA can handle the extra inputs and the sonic attack of drums (in particular the lows of the kick drum).

You also need a way to monitor the elctronic sounds. This is critical if you plan to play to loops/sequences. You may need a click (thru headphones???). Playing to a click reuqires a skill that some drummers don't have.

Make sure you consider all of the above before you start buying electronics.

Archived