Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I want that kick drum sound!

rolokav

Can anyone help me here: I'd like to get a certain kick drum sound--very in your face, like I've heard in a couple of Joan Osborne albums (St. Teresa, Safety in Numbers, other songs). I'd appreciate any knowledge you folks have.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that those tight punchy drums have a gate then compression. You can shape the bass drum envelope with a gate.

Indeed, with today's processing equipment, I think that you can shape many drum sounds to sound better than they are and radically different.

The drums can also be triggered samples.

I've had a pretty satisfactory sound out of my kick...until yesterday.

I've got a 22" Ludwig (vintage). It has coated Emperors on it. I've been using full head on the front (no hole). Last week, I cut a hole about an inch or so bigger than my Sennheiser 421, sealing the edge with clear door edge guard from an auto parts store. Yesterday, I took out all the damping and tossed just a feather pillow in there; the pillow was given to me by a hotel furniture liquidator (I was in buying some other stuff, and he just said "ehh...take it"). I repositioned the 421 to point up at the beater area, and at a bit of an angle; the grille area of the mic is fully inside the kick, but that's it. I re-tuned the kick, and stuck a DBX 166 on it and the snare.

wow. simply wow.

I'm not going to be able to do any tracking with this until Monday at the earliest. I cannot wait.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Well beyond your drum-shell construction (maple, birch, mahogany, etc... etc...) and heads, and mufflers, and beaters you need a PRO audio gear.

A good tunnig will always help, try a 2-ply batter head (clear prefered) tuned from low to very low with a pillow (or other muffling device) over it from the inside, and a single-ply head (medium thin head prefered) with a 4 to 5 inches ported hole (offset prefered) with no muffling device at all, tunned medium at your choice but not too tight and not too low)

here is a standard rider that may help you to achive that sound:

1 - A good mic is always welcome here (Beta 52, D112, etc)

2 - Place this mic inside the drum shell not on the port hole, this will hlep you to reduce the need of a Gate and most of the times a Compressor too. Place it almost facing the beater area impact, 4 finger from the batter head and just in the half the distance form the shell and the beater, facing the head.

If you need a more "Kick In Your Face" sound.

You might need a well EQ and Compressor

3 - Route the signal path like this: Preamp Comp EQ.

4 - Set the Compresor like this: Attack - 10msec Release - vary from 200 to 10000 msec (hear the diference), Ratio - 2 to 4 (for a punchy-attack sound) and from 6 to 8 (for a hardcore-attack) beyond this point you will get a Limiter kind of sound. And always check the output gain to not distort the signal.

5 - Finally EQ -it, first of all, eliminate all the high freq. (you will not need'em in a bass drum) second - rise a little bit the 1 to 2 kHz about 3 to 6 dB up and around the 150 to 200 Hz about 3 to 6 dB up.

Over these mid and low freq. take care not mix your sound with the Bass, if this happens the lower the 200 Hz and rise 350 to 500 Hz instead.

And always ctry to play a bit with the parameters to gat a personal touch.

Hope this helps you cya!!

• 2 weeks later...

This may sound strange to some, but, I have been getting a really nice tone by moving my mic (RE-20), away from the head, and getting more of the wood of the drum. This did not result in a boomy quality, but greatly helped the drum stand out in the mix. No gating or eq. I did pre-amp. I think it was either the Great River, or a Manley.

The point is, depending on the desired sound, mic position, the sound of the drum and it's tuning,

all of these factors need to be utilized to the drummer;s advantage. Trust your ears. Experiment.

Make sure the sound is as good as you can get it before yo begin to alter and process.

Mike

Archived