Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Concerns about Yamaha DTXPRESS

pfastfoot

I recently purchased a DTXPRESS II set. I love it (especially living in an apartment), but I find that after a little while my right hand becomes extremely sore, so much that I can't continue to play. This doesn't happen on my regular set at all.

I've tried using Zildjian's Anti-Vibe sticks and they seem to help a little but not that much.

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've played various e-drum kits going all the way back to the 80's (remember Simmons???).

Accoustic drum heads are able to absorb much of the energy from the hits. The rubber pads don't absorb the energy nearly as well - accordingly your hands, wrists, elbows, etc. take a beating.

When I sold drums I used the example that the vibration simply travels up the stick to the arm.

While trying different sticks can help some, the end result is you are hitting a hard piece of rubber with a hard piece of wood - something has to give.

I'm sure you've already figured out that playing e-drums does require some adjustments to playing technique (not hitting as hard, not "laying into the head" like with accoustic drums, etc). These adjustments can help reduce some of the impact on your body.

An option (although a costly option) is using mesh heads, vs the rubber pads. I play a Roland V-drum kit and the mesh heads are much, much better to play than the rubber.

It is good that you realize you have a problem and I suggest you heed the warning your body is giving you. I know drummers who did a fair amount of damage playing hard surfaces (the Simmons pads were almost like playing on a Formica counter top).

Good luck!

Archived