Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to mic a kick drum.

maxherlim

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

max...

is there a hole cut out of the drum..if so..experiment with the D112 by moving the mic from close to far...see what sounds better.

I like to use the D112 combined with a Sm57 placed inside the drum as close to the beater as I can get,..and blend to taste. The D112 gives you good low boom,..the 57 gives you sharp attack.

I have never tracked a kit that has not had a hole cut out of the kick yet, so I will not comment on it.

Cheers,

LIMiT

"..it will test your head,..and your mind,...and your brain too..."

Dewey Finn-

from your comment about the snare I am assuming you have no hole in the front head and are not getting the mic inside the drum. Even from inside the kick, some snare bleed is inevitable.

I don't want to start any wars by commenting on hole vs no hole in the front head. Some folks who don't want a hole permanently install a mic inside the drum.

But if you are placing your mic in front of the drum, you could try making a "tunnel" to protect that mic from the snare and cymbal bleed. a couple of chairs on either side with a carpet draped over the top would be one way to do it. A second kick drum with the heads removed would be another.

The "tunnel" will also affect the sound, perhaps in a way you won't like, so keep in mind you have to experiment and see what works best for you

No. The mic is good, even the placement is good for some flavors. Miking outside the hole can provide a lot more whoompf to the sound with less attack than if you put it inside. Depends on the sound you want.

What you're experiencing with the snare and hi-hat is called mic bleed and it happens. I bet you're getting mostly high frequencies coming through. If you can, try setting a low-pass filter at about 5k. That will roll off some of the high-end bleed and still give you enough of the attack of the kick.

Of course, this is all experimentation, which is what recording is all about.

Just for the record.

Archived