Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Djembe mount?

Gruuve

Hey folks:

I just bought a Remo 12" Djembe a couple days ago (needed to use in church, believe it or not...it's smaller, less expensive, and much more portable than a set of congas but produces a similar kind of sound...seems like a great compromise!) I wanted an easily tunable djembe, I compared the Remo and the LP Aspire (both in the $150 price range), and I thought they both sounded about the same when tuned the same, but the Remo seemed to be much more playable. I played a fellow musician's LP djembe one other Sunday, and my hands were somewhat sore. The Remo just seems to play much more comfortably...I've played it a bit over the past few days and I don't have any bruising or soreness on my hands. Cool! I could see eventually picking up perhaps a 14" as well.

Anyway, I'd like a way to mount it to a bongo stand that I already have. I've got one of the harnesses to strap it onto myself, but I'd really like to find some way to mount it to something that I don't have to support! I'm thinking some sort of arm with a semi-circular mounting deal (similar to some of the floating mounts for toms on a kit) that perhaps connects to the lugs similar to the harness I already have, plus a padded arm that the bottom rests against, but I haven't found anything along those lines. I'd rather not drill it, etc. Mounting it via the lugs seems like the way to go. If anyone knows some good hardware to do this, please post a link or other info.

Here's about he closest thing I've found, but this is stand...I'd mount it to the stand I already have...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41455&item=3770031063& rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Thanks and regards,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own a stand just like the one you referenced to via eBay. It won't get the Djembe very high, so you if you want it as high as Congas on a stand, it won't work.

You can still use the stand you've mentioned, but modify it. I've taken the top section of that stand and clamped it to a cymbal stand or bongo stand, and it works. You just have to adjust the clamp so that the Djembe is suspended over a load-bearing leg on the stand.

A problem you will have with that stand is that you can't play the Djembe with the head in a horizontal position. If you do, the drum falls out of the cradle portion of the stand. You'll need to strap it to the stand or rig it some how to prevent this.

Experimentation is a good thing, so have at it.

I still think the stand you've mentioned is a good one, even if you have to make modifications to get it to do exactly what you need at the moment. I sure do enjoy mine, but it's also not the only stand I own for my Djembe.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

I have that same Gibralter stand and I really don't like it. The main issue is how bulky it is. The tension rings on the sides spread the thing way out and make it really difficult to integrate with a kit. And, as Bart mentioned, if you have the drum mounted perpendicular to the floor it's unstable. Due to the low height and the instability, you have to angle it away from you in order to make any use out of it.

I really think it's a waste of money. But I also haven't come across an alternative that works for me.

Just for the record.

Thanks for the posts, folks. Well, one of my hobbies is metal-working, so perhaps I'll try to fabricate something over the holiday vacation! If I manage to get anything decent, I'll post...

Thx!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

The stand in question is really meant for traditional performance approach to the Djembe. That meaning that you would straddle the drum as it's angled on the stand ... simulating the same height and angle you would have if the Djembe were strapped to you.

What I did was add the connector plate back to the Djembe, but mount it upside down. This plate is the same plate that is used on the Congas to mount on a stand. By doing this, the holes on the mounting plate aligns perfectly with the screw bolts on the stand in question. This allows me to then use this stand with the playing surface in a horizontal position. The height is still an issue, if you are standing to play it, so that's when I take the top section of the stand and clamp it to a higher stand ... such as a cymbal stand.

It works, if that's all you've got to use, which was my situation for quite awhile.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived