Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Greetings! Help me buy a drumset.

Powerboss

Hi there.

OK. I'm a musician hobbiest, play guitar and keys, and have played a little bit of drums.

Im doing some home recording and that will be my primary use.

I've always wanted a drum set and finally, after wanting one for most of my life, I've decided to do it.

I've pretty much decided that I'm going with electronic drums because that will be a lot less hastle and easier to record with, plus the bonus of more sounds.

Anyways, Im probably figuring I can spend around $2500.00 bucks for a set.

What do you guys reccomend?

What are the brands to go with and which ones to stay away from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With that kind of a budget, you can buy just about any high quality drumkit you want.

Try searching through the archives on recommendations; this topic has been discussed at length in the past. There's too many brands and models to narrow it down for you; you'll have to do that.

You question could have easily been ...

"I've got $25,000 to spend, and I need a new car. It's primary use will be to get from home to work and back again. What do you suggest?"

Do you see how vast and open-ended that question is?

Perhaps someone else can answer your question, but I sure couldn't. Almost every large drum manufacture has nice instruments, especially the upper-end kits. And any one of those would work fine for your home recording purposes.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

standard roland v-drums are fine. i think you should relook buying a normal set though, you can't do as much/don't have as much control as you would with the real thing. basically IMO yu are spending extra dough to get a product which limits your functions.

i.e., you can't get the sound of brushes on a cymbal or snare, can't get rim shots

just my opinion. good luck!!!

Originally posted by Powerboss:

With that kind of a budget, you can buy just about any high quality drumkit you want.

I think you misread the amount. My fault for not inserting a comma. 2,500.00 as in two thousand five hundred.

Otherwise, thanks for the info guys.

I think Bartman read your amount just fine, and you missed his point. The problem is the number of choices you have for $2500 drum kits is roughly similar to the number of choices you have for $25,000 cars, and your listed requirements don't help narrow the field enough to make any meaningful suggestions.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Dennyf:

Originally posted by Powerboss:

I think you misread the amount. My fault for not inserting a comma. 2,500.00 as in two thousand five hundred.

Otherwise, thanks for the info guys.

I think Bartman read your amount just fine, and you missed his point. The problem is the number of choices you have for $2500 drum kits is roughly similar to the number of choices you have for $25,000 cars, and your listed requirements don't help narrow the field enough to make any meaningful suggestions.
Thanks Dennyf ... that's what I meant.

$2,500 is a lot of money! There are a lot of GREAT drumkits that RETAIL for that. For that kind of money, you can just about get anything you want. Remember I said "just about" ...

:thu:

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Thanks for all the reply's. I do appreciate the information and opinions. I just want to get something that is known as a good product.

OK. If I lived alone and had nothing to worry about I'd get a non electric drum set.

The thing is, I keep late hours and have my family and I don't want to drive them crazy.

The other thing is that it just seems like it would be much easier for recording, not a bunch of mic's to deal with, ect, ect.

this is the set that my friend owns, it's $200 over what you said, but it's a great buy
Does he like it? What are his thoughts on it?

yup he loves it. i must admit it is veeerrry cool. it's got all different sounds which seems to be something you want even steel drums!

just remeber you can't get all of those special sounds and techniques like rim shots and the effects of brushes. if you are looking for something that won't annoy your family, i would go with these roland v-drums.

another plus about them is that you control the volume of each drum/cymbal at ease.

they'd be a great choice for what you are looking for :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
Some of the Roland drum pads have dual zones, so you can get both the sound of the snare and rim shot on one pad at the same time (the rim of the pad yields the rim shot). One of the sampled kits is a "Brushes" kit, so you can get those sounds too. The electronic drums are very flexible (easy to move, always in tune, quiet and easy to record -- both midi or analog signals). The new TD-20 sound samples are awesome.

• 1 month later...

I came over from Open Mic land to ask a couple q's. 1) How do you determine WHICH level of drum family you have. I bought a used set of Tama Rockstar Customs. Decent drums, but what denoted the custom monikor? What would this set 5 piece, with Gibraltor Rack, Rok n Sok seat and King Cobra Pedla ball park for with 3 cybs'' and hats (k)?

2) Anyone used an Akai MPD pad set? I cannot find any one who one for bloody sale.

Originally posted by zachg:

standard roland v-drums are fine. i think you should relook buying a normal set though, you can't do as much/don't have as much control as you would with the real thing. basically IMO yu are spending extra dough to get a product which limits your functions.

i.e., you can't get the sound of brushes on a cymbal or snare, can't get rim shots

just my opinion. good luck!!!

WRONG.... You can do do rimshots and use brush sounds, depending on what brain you are using and if the drums have dual triggers.. For example one snare drum can play a snare sound on the drum and a rim shot on the rim..

Archived