Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SOS! broken DW remote hat cable!

Tedly Nightshade

So what do I do? Need this fixed in a hurry for rehearsals and gig.

All the little wires that make up the cable snapped, right off the part by the pedal- and the damned hex screws won't come out, either. Anybody know a way out of this dilemma? Eventually I will get the right replacement DW part but that could take weeks...

Help!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no way to fix it other than replacing it; sorry.

I had my YAMAHA Remote Cable break on me during a recording session; luckily I had a standard HiHat stand in my hardware case as a back up.

I checked everywhere, hardware stores, etc.; there's no way to get those threaded pins over the counter. Anything you use to crimp and clamp the cable back to the pull-rod will inhibit the stand from working properly.

If you contact Steve Weiss Music , they can have a cable shipped out to you in a few days.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Thanks much for the link to Steve Weiss Music.

I seem to have a "limp-through" fix here with a piece of wire- fortunately there's enough room in the DW where I need it to accomodate the wire without sticking.

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• 2 weeks later...
i haven't seen a remote hi hat system up close and checked out the cable they use, but i used to ride bikes a lot and the cables i would put on for brakes almost seem like the same size as the ones of the remote hi hats. they have ball ends and are usually under 10 bucks at a local bike shop. hell, they might work, but i haven't really seen a remote hi hat close up so dont take my word for it.
.....bonham

Originally posted by adam b:

i haven't seen a remote hi hat system up close and checked out the cable they use, but i used to ride bikes a lot and the cables i would put on for brakes almost seem like the same size as the ones of the remote hi hats. they have ball ends and are usually under 10 bucks at a local bike shop. hell, they might work, but i haven't really seen a remote hi hat close up so dont take my word for it.

Yeah ... these cables do not have the ball ends on them. It would be great if they did. All of the Cable HiHats I've seen use cables with a threaded screw on each end.
Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Your right. I would contact DW customer service right away and explain your delimma.

They should be able to send you a replacement cable. Even if you have to pay for the overnight shipping ... think of the amount of time and aggrevation you will save not trying to jury rig the thing.

That would be your best bet.

Thanks,

DJ

I did think of the bike brake cable thing... unfortunately there are some weird hex-but-not-hex screws that I could not persuade to come undone, so I had to replace the entire cable housing assembly, not just the cable! PITA!

Rather than contact DW by email, the only option they gave on their site (lame), I found a DW dealer who was friendly and helpful and ordered the replacement.

Actually the jury-rig took but a couple minutes- indeed, I got lucky! And as the replacement parts have still not arrived, it got me through the rehearsals and gig. Sometimes, there is no substitute for a bit of baling wire...

The aggravation was trying to contact DW, and trying to find a DW dealer worth a damn. The part with the wire really was a positive pleasure in comparison! FWIW the place linked above no longer carries DW parts.

Originally posted by djarrett:

Your right. I would contact DW customer service right away and explain your delimma.

They should be able to send you a replacement cable. Even if you have to pay for the overnight shipping ... think of the amount of time and aggrevation you will save not trying to jury rig the thing.

That would be your best bet.

Thanks,

DJ

Archived