Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gretsch catalina club

ss

I was looking for a less expensive 2nd kit with a little less volume and I came across the Gretsch Catalina clubs at a local music shop. Well, I thought these drums were so cool and I had to get 'em. For the money I'm really happy and I love the 18" kick! Gretsch make great mid level kits.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey!

I've had my eye on a Catalina Club kit for a while myself...good to see someone enjoying theirs...the thing that got me though, was the kind of tuning lugs/rods used....they looked cheap and fragile.

Are they working well for you, giving you enough accuracy and durability so far?

Oh, and which color did you choose? I'm torn between the White and Black Oyster/Pearl finish.

Finally, how is that 18" kick sound/volume-wise?

The tuning lugs are working out fine. I too was skeptical about them and they are really not a problem so far. The 18" kick is great with the right batter head. The first thing to do is to trash the factory bass head and replace it with a better one. I went with Evans emad and use the large muffling ring with nothing inside of the drum. Believe me...it packs a punch! As for the color, I really didnt want the white marine but thats what I got. You see, my primary drum kit is a white marine pearl and so I wanted the black pearl or silver sparkle. I could not order these colors because I actually got this kit with a trade in of other equipment. Overall the catalina club kit is less in volume than my maple kit but still has a great tone. For the money you really can't go wrong!

Yeah! Evans E-Mad! I was looking forward to them putting out an 18" version....I always liked the sound Jazz players got out of smaller bass drums, and if and when I ever get a kit it'll have an 18"....and the size of that Catalina is ideal.

Cool, glad to see that it's a quality product :)

Archived