Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Switch to full shell

adam b_dup1

so, is there a huge noticeable difference when going from a normal kit made of some mixture of wood, then go onto a full shell kit like maple of birch. how does the sound change? is there less excess noise? whats the big dfference? how are the Pacific by DW drum kits like the CX 8.1? they're full maple shells but seem a lot cheaper than others.
.....bonham

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There will be others who can explain this better but I'll give it a shot. My first "real" kit came to me several months ago and its %100 maple. Before then I used a lesser kit with unknown material (I think poplar). When I first layed a stick to them I was amazed at what I had been missing! The drums sounded like I've always wanted my drum set to sound like. I mean honey sweet toms, without overtones, that would sustain a full, round sound and project it out into the audience. The kick drum just blew my other kick drum away and its due to the maple shells. To sum it up...when you get a birch or maple kit you get true tones out of every drum, that is if the shells are in good shape and have good bearing edges.

Archived