Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

first lesson

Compact Diss

I was just wondering what if anything I could begin teaching my son about drums without involving lessons. We have a starion drum set, a kids version. I know some of you might think I'm crazy, he is five years old but he does want to learn. What would be the basic things I could help him with. I play guitar and I am not familiar with the drums at all. I bought the drums a couple of years ago and he bangs on them--but I want to start teaching him something that will help for when he begins real lessons---any help is appreciated.

Thanks--

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just get him working on some of the basic rudiments, the simplest way to get good fast.

and listen to music, what i do is just get headphones attached to a radio and i have that auto seek thing for radio stations, so i just start from the bottom and go to the top and play on my drums with one song from every station, helps a lot with different styles of drumming, really fun too.

.....bonham

I've taught children as young as 4-years-old with great success. And what I found works best, for when I teach, is to keep the sessions short ... like 20 minutes. I would work on techniques like how to hold the sticks, how to hit the drum correctly, etc. Then I would teach them various rhythms and/or stickings (ie. rudiments). If you don't play drums, it's going to be hard to help him on these things. I really recommend that you get him at least one lesson now so that he can hold the sticks and strike the drums correctly.

The other things I do in the 20 minute lesson is play to music and improvise. For the improv stuff, we'd make a game out of it. An example ... I would play a simple rhythm, then have the student play it back. I'd also reverse it so that THEY play something, then I try to play it back. It's sort of a Call & Answer type of concept ... and the kids always enjoyed it. These are things you CAN do with him ... and it doesn't even have to be on the drums! Start simple, maybe only play on one drum for the improv stuff, then expand by setting a new criteria ... such as only playing two specific drums/cymbals.

You want him to have fun. If it becomes a chore, he WILL loose interest.

If you can't find a local teacher, I wanted you to know that I offer custom video correspondence lessons. You can check out my website for more details.

Play-along with your son on drums and you on guitar. Make music together. He'll love and learn a lot from that!

Enjoy your time together!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

It doesn't really have anything to do with helping him play & in fact might seem tedious at first but having him learn rhythmic notation will be much easier the earlier he does it.

just play a little AC/DC with the kid, he'll have a lot of fun doing that

Actually he's more into Zeppelin, believe it or not, the Immigrant Song is his favorite!

Thanks for the suggestions. The weather has been getting better here so for now he has become a full time worm excavater, can't keep his fingers out of the dirt....Thanks for all your help!

Archived