Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dating Zildjians?

Allan Speers

I'm trying to learn more about vinatge Zildjians. I've seen a few good sites with stamp history, but two things elude me:

1: I have not seen pictures of 70's vintage stamps. several sites say that Zildjian resurrected the late-50's stamp in the early 70's. Is it EXACTLY the same? Is there any other way to tell the 50's from the 70's? (I'm primarily concerned with A-Zildjians, not those dark, washy, overpriced K's! (no flames, please!!!)

2: I bought a few "vintage" Zildjians off of Ebay that have the Zildjian hollow ink-logo (80's, maybe?) -and one with no logo at all. None of these have any stamp. is there a way to date these as well?

-thanks as always.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing wrong with dating Zildjians, but if it doesn't work out, you might at least consider asking a Paiste out to lunch.

Sorry couldn't resist. :D I don't know the answer to your question, but I hope someone does - our drummer's got a couple of Zildjians whose date of origin is unknown. It would be cool to find a way to tell.

Allan,

I hate to have to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't date their cymbals before 1995 (regardless of what info you may have been given by others).

According to Zildjian themselves they did not devise a method of doing this prior to 1995 - they actually had a number of stamps they used prior to that without any ability to trace age.

PLease see this question answered at their corporate website:

http://www.zildjian.com/faq/zanswers.html#cymbals_14

Sorry buddy,

Rod

Yes, Zildjian says that, but they're lying.

They have also started to claim that no A-Zildjians were ever hand-hammered. It's marketing bullshit. they want people to buy only their new, quality-controll-less pies.

Zildjian is now aproaching the level of the Bush administration: Creating all sorts of shit, and then assuming they can just throw out a bunch of lies and things will just go on as always.

There are VERY clear delineations for the 40's and 60's A's, (see: http://www.mudpiemedia.com/cymbalsnew/stamps/BHARTRICK_Azil.cfm)

-plus the 50's-70's thing (with the same stamp, unfortunately) -And I have found a very subtle difference in the late 70's (I think) it's amazingly subtle and I need to see a few more before I can be sure.

Plus, of course, there is clear delineation in the foreign K's.

-And it seems (although I'm really asking) that all rides post 1980 or so have NO stamp whatsoever.

the part that really bugs me is that repeat of the 50's stamp in the early 70's.

the thing that's buggin

Originally posted by Allan Speers:

They have also started to claim that no A-Zildjians were ever hand-hammered. It's marketing bullshit. they want people to buy only their new, quality-controll-less pies.

Zildjian is now aproaching the level of the Bush administration: Creating all sorts of shit, and then assuming they can just throw out a bunch of lies and things will just go on as always.

There are VERY clear delineations for the 40's and 60's A's, (see: http://www.mudpiemedia.com/cymbalsnew/stamps/BHARTRICK_Azil.cfm)

-plus the 50's-70's thing (with the same stamp, unfortunately) -And I have found a very subtle difference in the late 70's (I think) it's amazingly subtle and I need to see a few more before I can be sure.

Plus, of course, there is clear delineation in the foreign K's.

-And it seems (although I'm really asking) that all rides post 1980 or so have NO stamp whatsoever.

the part that really bugs me is that repeat of the 50's stamp in the early 70's.

the thing that's buggin

You might check out cymbalholics.com

Yes, Zildjian lies these days.

It's actually quite tricky and confusing, and sometimes impossible, to date these cymbals- not worth the effort I don't think.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by Allan Speers:

Listen Allan,

I have nothing but respect for Bill Hartrick, it's obvious he's an expert in the field, hoever - with the exception of the 60's (which he feels very certain of) he expresses no certainty regarding any of the dating of the "A" cymbals.

He states:

"1940's to 50's - I believe"

"Early to mid 40's I believe"

"Late 30's - my guess"

There is no certainty in any of that - so what he's actually saying is that with the exception of the 60's - he has no way of dating anything - and that seems to me exactly what Zildjian is saying - they used the trademarks indescriminately over the years and are unable to date by trademark.

I suppose they could do what Bill is doing - and use best guesses - but that is hardly accurate dating.

I have no comments regarding the K series - never used them myself.......

Rod

Archived