Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum module shopping experience/SPD-S

polyt

I'm not a drummer or anything, but I own a DrumKat 3.0 that I run to a Yamaha S08 keyboard.

Our first drummer really liked this setup. Our second didn't like it, but he ended up sounding really good on it nevertheless.

Anyway, I'm taking the whole setup across the state for the weekend. My options were a): just buy a keyboard case: $100 or so. Or b) invest in a dedicated drum module.

I figured either option would be a good investment, but after doing a bit of research I kindof had my heart set on a new module. I've been using the same drum tones for about a year now. While they sound good, a change would hit the spot at this point.

I went to both Guitar Center and Musicians Superstore to do some listening. I wanted to try an Alesis DM-5 and Yammy TD-6.

There are basicallly no DM-5s around to listen to. If you want one dail-in cause it looks like supplies are thin.

TD-6: I was thoroughly unimpressed. I wanted to like it though.

Came across a Roland SPD-S. Apperantly this is quite new. It looked like the guys at MS just took the demo model out of the box that very morning. More like a DJ tool rather than a drummers tool right out of the box, but you can load whatever samples you want on this thing.

It's got nine pads, the top three curve around the top so you can rim shot the unit. The pads also have the option of toggling on/off. So if you had a sample you wanted to loop you've got great control over it.

It only had Two trigger ins, one of which was variable. Two audio ins, 4 outs I think. MIDI I/O, etc. Limited to 16/44.1

I damn near bought it ($500 retail). The main reason why I didn't (other than the wife would kill me), I don't think I could customize it to act as a dedicated module by the weekend. It seems like the type of thing where you could write off the next month based on the inspirational qualities alone though. You could get into this thing pretty deep and I figured I have enough hobbies as it is.

I also came accross a five piece mesh Pintech at GC for $500. I almost bought it on the spot. Apperantly that includes the stand (not sure cause the service sucked - imagine that). Only thing missing was a brain and foot triggers.

Sorry to be so long winded. In the end, I just bought a keyboard case :P .

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HAHA!!! Yeah my wife should have done me in a long time ago too when I first started. About $80,000 later......... I'm still alive!! :D

In all you made the right choice. Keep your investment safe..........a ....er....then start getting some other toys.....

Oh I almost forgot. I just came home with an SM 57 mic and $200 worth of DA88 cables today........sorry wife... :rolleyes:

My fade out....

Jazzman :cool:

Archived