Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using a click live

rd

I was just reading through some old threads about playing to a click and had some questions...

1) Is the Tama Rhythm Watch still a good way to go (any better or worse competitors)?

2) How do you hear this click? Do you run a instrument cable back to the mixer and pipe it through a stage monitor? Won't the audience hear it? Also, the bass player and I share a monitor channel. Or use "ear buds"?

3) How do you change the tempo quickly in between songs with short breaks?

4) If going the drum machine route, do you just loop one measure, can you quickly/easily change the tempo live? What's the best machine for this purpose these days?

5) What happens if you get off the beat when playing live? Seems like getting back on the click would be more noticeable to the audience than a gradual/slight tempo change.

6) We have a number of songs started by other members of the band, how to handle this with a click?

7) How do you practice using a click? I normally practice by playing along with the original recordings of covers we play. How different is using a click than playing along with a recorded drummer? I don't want to waste the other band members rehearsal time while I stumble through learning to play with a click.

I did all the high school band things (concert marching pep etc) so I'm not foreign to having something/one else dictate the tempo. Just haven't done it for a while (except for practicing with recorded music). I'm far from a pro, we just play out for fun every couple months or so. It was recommended by someone who supposedly manages bands that I should play with a click - which means he must have noticed some tempo changes.

Other suggestions/thoughts???

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of questions - but I'll try.

Most times, drummers play to a sequence, which has a click fed to the drummer. If there is no sequence, a drummer would normally use either a drum machine or one of many metronomes on the market (Some have a flashing light as well as an audio.

Naturally, most drummer use headphones to monitor a click. If it's a sequence, the sequence may be in the left channel (to the mains/monitors) with the click in the right channel to the drummers phones.

If the drummer losses the beat, it can be a train wreck (in particular if there is a sequence). So the drummer better be very comfortable working with a click - and have good monitoring.

Regaring other players starting the song - unless they have a click, they shouldn't - the drummer should count of - (a 4 count to lead in the accoustic guitar or whatever).

Playing to recordings is must the same as playing to a click (since most recording drummer play to a click) however, there is one major difference - the sound of the clikc can be very intimidating.

Many drummers think every snare hit has to be precisely on the click. A good drummer knows to play "around the click". You keep the groove, you keep the tempo, but you still aloow the music to breath.

That being said, practise to a click but don't depend on it. Make sure you have a strong sense of tempo (so even if the click is turned off, you keep the tempo very close to the right speed.

Regarding tempo changes in mid song, unless you have an entire sequence programmed, with the tempo change, you are asking for a train wreck.

I've use the Dr. Beat - but have not used the Tama watch.

If you can get to a store and try them (and whatever else is available)you should. You really need to find something you feel you can work with.

If possible, choose a unit that has both a headphone out and a flashing light. Also, a unit that allows you the hang it or mount it where you can get at it easy (like off a mounted tom).

Figure out where you would most want it - then look for the unit that will fit that space.

Just keep in mind, a click track is simply a guide. Once you learn to work with it (vs. let it control you) you should be able to play to any click (assuming you have good time to start with).

Archived