Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Brushes, pedals, and other drum rammblings

C_F_H_13

All right so I had a bunch of unrelated questions, so instead of making a bunch of posts I figured I'd make one big one. So here goes.

1. Brushwork: What kind of heads do you guys like to use for this kind of stuff. I got big thick heads on my head snare cause that's what I'm going for....but brushes? (as mentioned earlier, I'm stuck in apartment land right now)

2. What kind of brushes would you all suggest?

3. I have an axis double kick pedal. It's been around the block a few to many times and it's starting to fall apart(I've actually broken solid pieces of the framing...how I did that I don't know) What pedals would you guys recommed? Cobras?? DW-5000??? any other brand I might be missing out on?

Well that's it.....

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C_F_H_13 :

You need coated heads for brush work (if you plan to try to master some of the lost art of brushing). If you need a heavier head on that snare, ... try a coated Powerstroke 3 head.

Brushes ... the only way to really go is with the Regal Tip Clayton Cameron model. They do not telescope so you have to keep them in their protective sleeve, but they are well worth that small aggrevation.

Also, go by the Clayton Cameron Brush Master video or dvd. Even if you do not really want to master the art of brushing, .. . you *will* be blown away by this guys technique!

Hope this helps.

DJ

I use brushes quite a bit (non-tractable regal tips) and I like Remo Fireskyn heads a lot more than coated heads, because the coating wears off pretty fast on the coated heads. I think Aquarian makes something similar as well.

I use Remo Coated Ambassadors or Evans Vented heads.

As previously indicated you need a coated (vs. clear head. I like a thinner head for more response and definition, but only you know what other "non-brush" needs you have (aie a heavier head).

There are several decent brushes on the market - but I also like the Cameron's from Regal Tip. I also agree his video is a good learning tool.

There are so many good pedals. I like the Pearl Eliminator's (very adjustable) but the DW5000's are very good. I've never tried the Iron Cobra's - but there sure are a lot of drummer who swear by them!

Archived