Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John Bonham vs. Keeth Moon

J J

Well the other day i was over at my friend's house partying when (im a guitar player) another guitar player started arguing about how keeth moon is better than bonzo (drunken battle actually)

So since we wern't sober we just started saying "Bonham!," or "Keeth Moon" as if we were proving our points. (it was more of a friendly arguement) Well either way it was fun.

I just wana know who you guys prefer and tell me why

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's kind of silly, it's comparing apples and oranges. I'd say both of those guys were in a class by themselves and it's hard to find ways to compare them to other people, including each other. Certainly no one has really duplicated either of their style, and both of their styles were completely distinctive and recognizable. I'd say just quit arguing and enjoy both of them! :) Cuz when it comes to rock drumming it's tough to find better than either of those guys.

And by the way, it's spelled "Keith." :D

I concur that Lee's right; they are at opposite ends of the rock drumming spectrum. I love both (although my drumming style is closer to Bonham's). Moon was unpredictable, exciting, and a master of dynamics. Bonham was power and control personified with a right foot that was unbelievable (check out the triplets he played on a single bass drum on "Good Times, Bad Times" from Led Zep I - amazing!). Asking to pick between the two is like asking me to choose which of my sons I like best. Sadly, they were alike in one respect: they both left us too soon.

I also agree that Moon & Bonham are very different, thus neither is better or worse.

I was very much influnced by Moon in my younger days - however that often resulted in overplaying (not always in the best interest of the song).

Later I gained appreciation for the huge groove and feel of Bonham - accordingly, I learned to play with more taste, being more sensitive to the song. It made my a better musician, which resulted in more work.

So while neither is better, most drummers would be better served to study Bonham over Moon.

Both were amazing, but I guess for me, it comes down to this:

As a drummer, you're better off trying to emulate Bonham than Moon. Bonham's playing is chock full of lessons for any drummer, but only Moon The Loon could play like that and get away with it. If you're not in The Who, then don't bother.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Whenever an arguement like that comes up, my response is usually something like... "You say drummer X is better than drummer Y. I ask you.... better for WHAT? Do you like chocolate or vanilla better? Vanilla? Okay, then what if you find yourself in a situation where you have to make chocolate cake... wouldn't chocolate be a "better" choice than vanilla in that case?"

That usually ends the arguement right there.

Originally posted by Jode:

Both were amazing, but I guess for me, it comes down to this:

As a drummer, you're better off trying to emulate Bonham than Moon. Bonham's playing is chock full of lessons for any drummer, but only Moon The Loon could play like that and get away with it. If you're not in The Who, then don't bother.

Yes to emulate Bohham for that studio-straight groove but, as a drummer I always would love the freedom of Keith.. really enjoyed the flaing arms and the timing he could create (thanks to Entwhistle's bass and Petes' guitar) strive to have a little of Keith in all your performances...but if you are not in WHO'ish band ---probably will not be kept as the drummer~~

• 2 weeks later...

Archived