Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Defend the Faith!

ihategarybettman

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many of the stereotypes are true unfortunately. Hard to defend against someones past experience with troublesome drummers. Same with guitarists and bassists...I happen to be all three and I try not to be the punch line for future jokes about any of these instruments by being as professional as I can be.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Although my main axe is and always will be drum kit, I also play guitar & keys (and I get calls to gig on guitar/keys as well as on drums).

I have found vocalist to be the biggest flakes, followed by guitar players - it seems the more time spent in the spotlight, the more brain cells that get fried (or boiled - or whatever happens in the spotlight).

However, it seems drummers will forever be the fodder of jokes. I collect musicain jokes (have a couple of dozen good ones and a few dozen no so good) and while most jokes can interchange any instrument (what do you call a ___ player with no girl friend....homeless) it always seems funnier when it references drummers.

As reach said, I try to be as professional as I can be regardless of wat instrument is in my hands.

reachjkh,

I don't think the stereotypes can be applied equally to any musician, not just drummers (I too play both guitar and drums). I think that drummers take the most flack because they are often the most prominent band member visually (because of the size of the drumkit and the physical nature of playing it) and sonically. A guitarist can often hide a mistake, but if a drummer screws up it's extremely noticable.

What I meant was that each instrument seems to have it's own stereotypes and you can't really argue with them since so many people have had the bad experience with that particular instrument.

When guitaring(is that a word?), I try not to be the loud ear splitter type. When playing bass, I try to not ask the guitar player what note I should play. When drumming, I try to speak using complete sentences. :D

*shields up*

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

I'm Back!

I have learned that it can be selling yourself short to steriotype.

If I had not learned to overcome this stumbling block, I would not have played with as many great musicians as I have.

Don't take things personally when you are in a band. I have learned to "ask" for criticism before it is offered. That is a great secret for learning and honing your craft.

Apply criticism constructively.

DJ

IMHO there is really nothing to defend.

I am a drummer who also happens to play guitar, bass, and keyboards (learning pedal steel as we speak) and every member of any band i have ever played with has always consider me to be a professional musician.

I've heard all the jokes - in fact i tell them sometime - and they are just that - jokes.

In real life if we pay attention and offer something of value in the process - we will be as respected as any other musician.

Just let it ride.......

Rod

Archived