Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old snares for cheap?

Allan Speers

Question concerning old, bargain snares:

I recently picked up an old Ludwig 5 X 14 chrome snare at a store for $50. This one just happened to have good heads, so I was able to get a good idea about it. It is unbelievably good. My other two snare both cost over $500 each, and this one is avery bit their equal sound-wise.

It's good to have lots of snares in the studio, for obvious reasons, and I can't afford to by three new N&C snares. (sob) So I'm now on te hunt for more bargains. Are there any "known" vintage snares that typically can be found cheap and are good players?

I've seen a few that looked promissing, but the heads were so shot I couldn't tell, and the store wouldn't put new heads on. most of these are eight-lug, whereas my Ludwig "find" was a ten-lug.

does eight lugs pretty much indicate a student grade?

One that I saw was an old Ludwig aluminum, but just rolled sheet aluminum, not cast like the expensive new ones. Is that just garbage?

Another was a Pearl Maxwin steel. It looked really well made, but again, shot heads and only eight lugs. Stay away or take a chance?

-Thanks much!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you just scored a Supraphonic. I like those; I've had mine since 1969. The 8 lug aluminum is most likely an Acrolite, which was a student model, but still a very fine drum; there's kind of a cult following for these.

Just cause a snare only has eight lugs doesn't mean it's bad. There have been quite a few great snare drums with eight lugs.

If you happen to pick up an ancient 8 lug Slingerland that says "Radio King" on it I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Here's a pic of the current model of the Supraphonic ($349 at Musician' Friend, list is $535; I think they go for around $100 on eBay). The only thing that's changed over the years is the snare throw-off and muffler (tone control).

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/44/446280.jpg

Here's a pic of a 60's acrolite, with a "baseball bat" muffler. It also has the same throw-off as the original Supraphonic.

http://scottschroedl.nstemp.com/Acrolite.jpg

Here's my wacky snare drum story.

I bought the cheapest snare drum I could find on eBay. This thing was amazing, absolutely the worst drum I have ever seen. But it was in round and the bearing edges were OK.

The shell was made of something that was one step up from balsa wood. I impregnated the inside of the shell with many coats of epoxy fiberglassing resin diluted with acetone and finished up the inside with an undiluted resin coat. I finished the outside with tung oil and Varathane. I threw away all the hardware and filled in and re-did the snare bed.

I replaced all the hardware with parts from drummaker.com.

It's now my favorite snare drum.

http://www.mp3forkidz.com/mydrum.JPG

I recognize that Acrolite!

That was the first and only drum I ever owned until just a few months ago. I sold it for $15 back when I was 14 or 15 years old and never owned another drum until I started again 21 years later.

thanks for the pic.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Archived