Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sell or keep my Larry Londin ride?

reachjkh

I have a limited edition Larry Londin ride that a friend gave to me when I got my set. I really hate the sound so far(except the bell). No ping anywhere but right on the bell. All wash every where else, a huge gong-like crash, and not quite enough tone IMO considering this is a signature item. I really do like ping, and don't anticipate playing too many jazz gigs in the future, which is all I can see this thing being good for.

My experience says never sell anything nice, but I just really don't dig the thing. I'm not a very experienced drummer, but I've been a musician for goin on 25 years and know what sounds good to me.

Should I sell it and buy something else? Keep it and see if it grows on me over time? If I do sell, what might I ask for it? It's one of 800 made if my info is correct.

I don't have much of a music budget at the moment, but I do have almost everything I need for all the instruments I play. This isn't a huge thing to me, but I would like some opinions on this. (BTW I did notice the description of Wuhan rides in another post about them being almost all ping...hmmm. Buy one of those and keep the L.L. for the moment? AAGH! I'm such a geek musician!)

thanks,

Jeff

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, Reach!

If you do want to sell the LL ride, let me know.

I am a huge fan and did not get one of those cymbals.

Is that cymbal very soiled? Is it clean? If you do not like the sound, I suggest that you get something that you like for sure. I am not sure you should be playing the LL ride anyway, considering the limited number made.

Just my opinion.,

DJ

I own one of the cymbals ... and I love it!

I do understand your comments and pretty much agree with you observations ... HOWEVER ... this ride cymbal works great in many live situations. Yes, up close, it's a monster, but when you need that ... it's awesome. If you need a controlled sound or plan to play a low volumes, it's not going to be a good general ride cymbal for you.

I have a number of rides, and the Larrie Londin signature ride (Sabian) has been a great addition to my cymbal collection. They only made 800 of these bad boys ... and they are definitely unique.

As far as keeping the cymbal or not, that's going to come down to your desire and needs. I got mine from a buddy; the original owner, but fell on hard times. I was glad that I could not only help him out financially, but also get a chance at a great cymbal.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Djarett,

I know where there's one for sale actually signed by Larry, if ou're interested. cheap, too (local music store) The drum guy there was actually present at the seminar when Larry died.

This particular ride sounds like dung, IMO, but it does have the signature. -and it's "like new" clean.

(sorry, reach, but since DJ said he's a fan I thought I'd mention this.)

No problem, I'm not sure what to do with it anyway and maybe DJ can get himself a desirable piece that's signed.

Mine has some stick marks and is not perfect, but it's not a mess or anything.

Is this thing worth? It's serial number #000346. I heard that it's the MOST sought after number out of all 800 :D . But seriously, give me an idea of possible value if you can. I don't even know what they sold for new. If this really has some value, I might be able to get myself a really nice ride, and that wonderful trashy Sabian O-zone crash, and somebody else gets something they've been looking for. Sorry, but I never even heard of Larry Londin before I got this ride, and it just doesn't mean anything to me except what it's worth since I don't like the sound. No disrespect meant to Larry or his fans.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

I'm sure that value is going to be whatever some is willing to pay. Until these are harder to come by, and they're not ... believe it not (I see this for sale several times a year, and there's only 800 of them?), the value isn't going to get much higher than the original retail price.

I think I gave $300 for mine, complete with bag and authenticity certificate. What I paid is not real evidence as to the value because like I mentioned, I bought really to help out a buddy ... and that's what he wanted for the cymbal.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived