Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Iron Cobra Pedal......useful or not??

captain54

I've had a Tama Iron Cobra kick pedal for a couple of years now, and it has been fine, mostly because I've been using it to play more rock/blues oriented stuff where quick footwork has not been a real necessity....

I've sort of changed the direction of the type of music I've been playing, and I'm finding, for the life of me, no matter how I adjust this pedal, it seems very clogging and heavy to me, and banging out quick 16ths seem to be a real chore...and real noisy and clacky, almost impossible to record

Hell, the Gibraltar pedal that came with the Gretsch kit I just bought is way, way more responsive that the Cobra....and quiet

Do I have the wrong pedal?? Is the Iron Cobra more geared toward live loud thumping rock?? Are there other pedals out there would be better to use for my purpose, which is more intricate foot work in a recording environment?...(think Steve Gadd in Steely Dan)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not the best source for an answer, as I'm only a part-time drummer and don't have a well-developed foot.

However, I recently got the Iron cobra double, based on suggestions from this forum. Do a search, the thread was only from a few months ago. It may be titled "DW5000" as that was the pedal I intended to buy.

Anyway, I'm glad I took the advice. the Cobra is much more responsive than the DW5000. I also love the new DW9000, but there isn't too much difference, and it's a LOT more $$$$.

Perhaps you have a different model Cobra? There are three. You want the chain-drive with the offset cam. Mine is fast, responsive, and accurate (to my humble foot.)

Perhaps your pedal is simply worn out? Go to a store and try a new one, then try the DW9000 at the same time. -And let us know what you think, I'd like to know your thoughts on the 9000.

I have a single drive pedal....its the Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide HP 900P....

I've never tried the DW pedals, I'll probably give it a go.....

my biggest problem is the inability to get the footboard to "bounce", and the incessant clacking ...

Originally posted by captain54:

I have a single drive pedal....its the Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide HP 900P....

I've never tried the DW pedals, I'll probably give it a go.....

my biggest problem is the inability to get the footboard to "bounce", and the incessant clacking ...

There's a couple models. Powerglide and Rolling Glide. The Rolling Glide is the one I have. It was recommended to me by the salesman as more appropriate for quick light work than the Powerglide.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

I just played on someone's Iron Cobra today. I didn't think it was so bad. I felt that the beater wa set about an inch further back than I like. It seems like it has a heavier feel to it than I'm used to, so some of the second note on some of my doubles weren't connecting. But like I said, if the beater had been a little closer to the drum head, this probably wouldn't have been an issue.

I'd been skeptical about thinking you are going to get better action out of another pedal. I don't think these things are rocket science; you set the beater, you set the tension, and you play. I haven't played on too many drummers pedals that I thought were beyond help -they just needed to be set properly.

Just my thoughts...

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

There are three models actually. Power Glide (sounds like that's what you have) and it's made for people with a light foot to give them a bit extra umphf. Rolling Glide is the happy medium and is pretty smooth and is what most people would want. Finally there is the Flexi Glide with a nylon strap that is probably the single fastest pedal on the market. 16th notes can easily be handled with it. Iron Cobra pedals are excellent, IMO.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

Originally posted by Super 8:

I'd been skeptical about thinking you are going to get better action out of another pedal. I don't think these things are rocket science; you set the beater, you set the tension, and you play. I haven't played on too many drummers pedals that I thought were beyond help -they just needed to be set properly.

Just my thoughts...

I guess it's simple a personal preference thing...like sticks...you can pretty much play with anything, but everyone has their favorites and their comfort zone....

the info about the three types of Iron Cobras was right on...that seems to be the answer to my problem right now...this Powerglide pedal feels like I have a hammer attached to my foot...

I got an Iron Cobra Power Glide that I picked up used. It is fast, but it is real noisy. Of course, most bass pedals get noisy when they are worn out.

That pedal is very adjustable. I would try further tweaking. Does it have some age on it? You might try some lubricants to ease the racket. I would recommend some silicone or otherwise. Food grade silicone in an aerosol can is pretty slick shit.

Don't use anything petro related, it will do more damage than good.

Do you have the springs too tight? You say you feel like you have a hammer on your foot. Sounds like the pedal is providing way too much resistance for your style.

I would loosen those springs a good bit. I would also consider replacing the Cobra beater with a regular old style round felt beater, too. The Cobra beater adds a lot to how that pedal plays.

I find if I keep my springs loose (regardless of pedal brand/type), I can get a lot better response.

Triplets, ghost notes, etc come a lot easier.

It depends, though. If I'm playing Sabbath or some type of slow doom shit, I like the pedal to be tight (springs) so I won't get anything but the hard hits. (Like a gate for bass drum. :D )

Originally posted by the stranger:

Do you have the springs too tight? You say you feel like you have a hammer on your foot. Sounds like the pedal is providing way too much resistance for your style.

I would loosen those springs a good bit. I would also consider replacing the Cobra beater with a regular old style round felt beater, too. The Cobra beater adds a lot to how that pedal plays.

I find if I keep my springs loose (regardless of pedal brand/type), I can get a lot better response.

Yeah, I loosened up the springs on mine (Rolling Glide) to where it plays rather easily, and replaced the beater with the best beater for the job I'm doing.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Originally posted by the stranger:

That pedal is very adjustable. I would try further tweaking. Does it have some age on it?

the pedal I have is a couple of years old...probably never been played more than a couple of hours at a time....I'm sick of tweaking this thing....I've never really been able to get it tweaked right..I've tried the stock beater, a felt beater, a wooden beater, an egg beater, you name it..

I must say, though, for the slammin, jammin type of stuff, it's great..

I'm probably going to put it up on Sleazbay and see if anyone has a Rolling Glide or a FlexiGlide on there that they want to sell as well...

I think the tension is the thing. I had the privilage of sitting at Simon Phillips' kit a couple of years ago at a clinic he ran for Tama here in sunny Glasgow, and he had virtually no tension on his Iron Cobras at all. Needless to say, he could force a reasonable turn of speed from these things!!!
I would be apathetic but I just can't be bothered.....

Archived