Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kevlar Snare Heads..

meccajay

Hey guys, Im having a bit of 70's nostalgia going thru my brain, and Im trying to find a Kevlar head for a studio drum kit Im putting together..

Years ago I used the Duraline snare heads for a funk band I was in... I fell in love with that bright, tight, dry sound! As most kats did, I later fell for the open ring Steve Jordan type sound. Ive long since grown tired of that sound, nowdays Im feelin I need some kevlar again!

The problem is that what Im finding online are marching drum heads.. I understand you can't use them on a kit snare, so after asking around someone said there's a company that still mnufactures the old Duraline heads... I got excited for a sec, but I found nothing! I checked the back of Modern Drummer, gear catalogs, the internet....still nothing.

Does anyone have a clue about this being true? If not are there companies that make a Kevlar for a drum kit snare? Help!!!

TROLL . . . ish.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by meccajay:

.. I understand you can't use them on a kit snare,

Why not???

I don't know where these might be avalable, but about 10 years ago I played a dude's drumset that had one of these heads on it. So they have got to still be around.

Sorry, that's all I've got for you.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

mecca:

I am sorry to say, but the closest you are going to come to one of these, is finding it (by remote chance) on ebay.

The next best thing is the flam marching head by Remo.

These are still a woven kevlar type material that will last forever, but it is usually reinforced with a dot underneith the head as well.

You may not get that ring you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

DJ

Originally posted by djarrett:

mecca:

I am sorry to say, but the closest you are going to come to one of these, is finding it (by remote chance) on ebay.

The next best thing is the flam marching head by Remo.

These are still a woven kevlar type material that will last forever, but it is usually reinforced with a dot underneith the head as well.

You may not get that ring you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

DJ

Thanx a million for the info!

Let me ask you this. Everytime I mention the marching heads the dealers say.."oh no, can't use those, you might pop your lugs off using those on a kit snare" Is that true?

They said something about the tension needed to really tighten down a kevlar (marching)head is too much for a standard kit snare. Marching drums are made to handle that kinda tention etc....

TROLL . . . ish.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by meccajay:

Let me ask you this. Everytime I mention the marching heads the dealers say.."oh no, can't use those, you might pop your lugs off using those on a kit snare" Is that true?

When I worked in a Music Go Round in Dayton, Ohio I had a guy that came in one time that had one of them heads on a steel shell Pearl, I think. He had it cranked up so damn tight and that drum held up! (Honestly is sounded like dookie, though.)

But then another time I had a guy that came in that broke several lugs right out of the shell of some no-name plywood snare, using those heads.

So maybe that doesnt help, but I guess my advice is, don't try it with your Black Beauty... try it on the TKO. :)

Archived