Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum maintenance

DC

I've got a really old Camco hi-hat stand. It seems to work fine, but has a tiny bit of a screak to it. I was wondering how to lube it and what product to use.

Also what lube to use on kick pedals (mine's a Ludwig Speed Master).

Also on stands and such, do you oil the wing nuts and leg joints periodically?

One more thing, do you ever treat the inside (bare wood) of toms? Lemon oil to keep the wood from drying out?

Thanks from a mainly guitar, bass & vox guy.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC:

Sounds like you are using some great older stands!

As for the hihat pedal, believe it or not, orginally, they were "packed" with a small amount of grease directly in the spring assembly (right above where the footboard attaches to the pull down) inside the bottom tube. WD-40 may offer temporary relief, but grease will allow the spring to work without the wear.

For the Pedal, you can use two items. Household oil (3 in one) works really well, as well as graphite powder. Find graphite powder at Lowes or Home Depot in the key cutting area. I believe that the old Ludwig pedals had a small hole to allow deposit of oil or graphite.

Hope this helps.

DJ

Originally posted by djarrett:

DC:

Sounds like you are using some great older stands!

As for the hihat pedal, believe it or not, orginally, they were "packed" with a small amount of grease directly in the spring assembly (right above where the footboard attaches to the pull down) inside the bottom tube. DJ

Well, I know very little about drum hardware, but the drummer bud that sold me my little Ludwig kit made a big deal about the 'Camco' Hat stand.

I was used to seeing the Speed Masters, so the Speed King was a new one on me. It seems to work just great though.

Um, where might someone find the proper grease to use and is there any trick to getting it in the stand?

Thanks! :thu:

Archived