Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So Djarret how did you like them calfskin heads?

Tedly Nightshade

So?

Over here I'm recording outside with a nice big tube omni, and it sounds very much like the drums have been put through the nicest compressors known to mankind, and EQ'd accordingly... I have achieved *big drum sound*!

How did them "earthtone" or whatever they were treat ya?

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ted: The verdict is still out for me on these.

I have only gotten them on my toms so far ... and I was not totally sold on the toms.

I like them on one side only, but think I would prefer a thinner (ala diplomat) head on the bottom.

I will keep you posted.

DJ

Those must be pretty thick, being coated and all... It's possible to get scary thin calfskin heads, made from yet-unborn calves! :eek::freak:

Here I am a vegetarian, and I *have* to have my unborn calf skins for the snare side head...

Another cool thing, although not easy to retrofit on a standard snare, are gut snares... not the fake gut ones Ludwig sells, but somebody's used intestines... not sure what animal they come from, but there's something so crude and *visceral* about them. In the old orchestral drumming books, they say for delicacy use wire, for sheer power use gut. Of course they didn't have all the new cable snares and that.

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Well, the natural drum head companies that I have looked at, just try to go through the heads and pick thin heads, ... which they mark as thin.

You can get lucky occassionally and find one thin enough to be used as a snare-side head.

I actually have never really liked gut-snares. Used to use them on marching drums when I was young. They really succomb to humidity and can droop on you while you are playing. Spraying them with Scotch-Guard to help minimize this, but it is only a band-aid to the problem.

I really like the PureSound wire snares. They are the closest thing to the original Slingerland "snappy" snares that I can find.

Hope all this helps.

DJ

www.lefima-usa.com

warning- they come from europe and can take months... so I stay stocked ahead of time!

Last time I ordered a snare side head, it was thin, but not scary thin. The time before that I specified "ultra-thin", and got what I asked for.

Known to the jazz guys as a "slunk"!

Everett Beale, the orchestral player who has lefima-usa as a sideline, actually recommends plastic for a snare side head, even with gut snares. I must say I have not tried that combination- I was looking for the crudest, scariest, most african sound I could get, and I'm happy with my ultra-thin calfskin slunk. I haven't tried the thin but not ultra-thin calfskin head on snare side, and hopefully, barring a nasty accident, I won't have an opportunity to try it out for many years.

Archived