Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

drumming and dancing.

musa

peace,

i read in an interwiew omar hakim saying that when he is not familiar with a particular kind of feel, he goes to a club where that style is authentically performed or selected and dance to it. once the body can feel the groove he will be able to play it.

of course most of us don't have omar's chops and feel but the advice is crucial for every drummer (or musician for the matter).

in africa music, drumming and dance are one and the same.

since most music we hear in the world today comes from africa or the african diaspora, we should think about it.

a drummer who can't or doesn't like to dance is missing a crucial point.

one love.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive experienced the opposite.

nearly all the drummers i know dance. this might be unusual in your neck of the woods but considering my home town has a huge 'dance music' community and a lot of us produce music also...

for me Breakbeat, the dance music genre which ignores cheesy sounds and dwells on programmed and live electronic drums, is where its at.

while i dont go to raves/clubs/concerts/bars for, well, any genre of music anymore sometimes i do like to get down to one and let myself go. be it a jazz night, or a dark throbbing rave, or a sepultura concert, a good rythm is...good.

then again, maybe im only down with dancing because these are pretty percussive and dance friendly genres? i mean i cant get with pop, or radio rock....

on the other hand yeah i can respect the "i drum because its my "dancing"" angle. that makes total sense too. i guess i MAKE MUSIC as a whole because thats my output to the creative food that is music.... some people can be happy singing or dancing in top40 clubs.... lol...

In a similar vein... I know of a piano teacher who has her students bring a piece of music that they want to learn. She takes the music and sits at the piano and has the student sit at a drum kit set up in her studio. Her reasoning behind this is that the student will use his/her entire body, not just the hands & arms on the piano! They will also have a stronger feeling of the rythym and real feel of the music!

Jeff Wheeler

keys & beats,

Jeff & Rocket

The Convergence Conspiracy Collective

Archived