Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UHHHH, Help here, how do you sound proof?

Iceman Irwin

HI, fellow groove guys... :wave:

I come from the other forum (Lowdown) and I have an inquiry in my mind that I think you guys are the ones that could suffice better. coz i believe that the ones who could give the better answer are the ones who do the job...

Okay here it goes...

I have this church gig and we're on a quick adjustment period...our drummer is leaving the job and we got trainees to fill up the drum spot...problem is the trainees (drummers) we have are having a big problem holding dynamics and groove when they play soft...our former drummer (probably one of the best drummers i ever played with) had great command of his dynamics...well maybe because he came from a jazz background...

anyway...

how do you sound proof the drums without muffling it?...(the guys here are so picky when it comes to drum sounds, they don't want the sound to be "embalmed")...yup...muffling is not an option...

so far i only got some answers from friends who recommend enclosures, some recommend that the our drummer use rods (?)...

as you can see...i am a newbie in drum dynamics control and such but please if you could spare time to have any suggestions and explanations on how we would approach the situation, it would certainly help... :)

From Lowdown

--------Iceman--------

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can empathize with you, Iceman. I stepped down from a "head drummer" position at a large church here, back in January. My replacement, a young kid with a good head a(nd a good haert) lacked the experience I took with me. The ensuing adjustment period was certainly not without some frustration. I was called back to help "mentor" him as much as my schedule permitted. If it's possible to present this option to your former drummer, it certainly could go help out. Lessons are another option thet the trainees may want to persue. Beyond that, the best place to learn dynamics, groove, time consistantncy, etc. is on the kit . Mentoring helps, but the greatest lessons for my replacement were learned (and are still being learned) with the help of the rest of the Praise Band. It was tough at first, getting used to someone other than the one who held it down for years, but, giving him the outlet, the opportunity and the encouragement was all the more beneficial towards, not only his growth, but also to a "settling back to normalcy" for the band as a whole. It's more than just another, more experienced drummer taking the trainee uner his wing... it'a also the remaining band mebers doing the same.

Hope this helps...! :wave:

Chuck

Iceman:

A great plexi-shield will do more than isolate the drummer's dynamics. It will also help with mic bleed in the rest of the ensemble.

There are also versions that include acoustic foam panels at the bottom third of the plexi panels that can help absorb some of the excess sound.

Hope this helps.

DJ

thanks guys for the advice...

Plexi-shield? would acrylic plastic do? what's the best way of using these enclosures(all-over the kit or just the front)?

uhmmm...more questions again...hope I'm not buggin' you guys that much...

anyway, million thanks again...i'll try to make suggestions now to our church board on the issue... :cool:

If Jaco's bass sound farts, please forgive me for doing it always!

ONCE A LEVITE, ALWAYS A LEVITE.

Archived