Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

drum term translation

sigudo

i'm a little outta place here... but at least i'm not a guitar player... anyhow.. i play bass.. i groove out hard with my drummer... i have some favorite drummers sounds or techniques that i would like to explain to him with out necceserily sitting down with him and playing a cd for him... i don't want this to be a lesson... i would rather have him just realize it and adopt part of it as his own...

its the constant high hat thing that john bonham & matt cameron do when they are playing... its almost like a train chuggin down the tracks... does anyone know what i mean??? or should i just stick to the bass board????

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you mean keeping time with the foot on the hi-hat pedal? It's something every drummer should practice, and you practice it like anything else: over and over again to a metronome at many tempos. I heard Steve Smith say that one thing he found that he had to overcome in his own playing was that he was trained from the "top down," and that drummers should really start from the "bottom up." Maybe your guy needs to put as much work into his feet as into his hands.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

While I can't be sure what you refer to, both of those drummers used variances of the standard 16th note hi-hat pattern (often referred to in the 70's as a "disco beat".

However, as Jode indicated, another common technique is to keep 8th note time with the hi-hat pedal.

Archived