Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Muffling a 20'' kick

ss

I should be getting my new kit soon and I was wondering what would be the best way to muffle the Ludwig classic maple 20" kick. Here is the kicker....I am not going to buy a new bass head right away and I believe that the drums come with the Ludwig weather master coated. I've been told that I could get a pretty good sound with that head if muffled right. Does anybody have any tips?

SS

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SS:

Spring for a new head. Heck, the dealer should throw in the Remo Powerstroke Batter head since you bought a kit from him!

Also, you will need some type of internal muffling device. I use the DW pillow. It comes with adhesive strip velcro strips that mount to the bottom of the shell (inside, of course), and the pillow has the velcro on it. You can adjust it based on the amount of muffling you want. Remo and Evans also have their versions of the internal muffling devices.

If that is not in the budget, do as I did for years, ... a folded blanket inside the kick.

DJ

Thanks DJ!

I'll probably try the blanket since I can't explain to my wife how I need more stuff for the $1,700 drum kit I just bought.

I was thinking about using the "egg ctate" type padding for bed matresses and cutting it approximately 20" x 15" and laying it down in the bottom of the drum, being careful to not over muffle. I'll just have to see.

SS

Archived