Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pawn shops and Garage sales.

Drum  Bass

Three years ago I bought a 1964 Rogers Red Onyx 4pc Holiday series drum set complete with a chrome over brass 5x14 powertone snare for $250 at the flea market. Even more recently I bought a Big R logo Rogers Dynasonic 6 1/2x14 complete with the snare frame for $50 at a local pawnshop.

I know I am not the only one having such luck that is why I would like to hear from you guys

Beat by Beat/ Note by Note

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw the heading on the front page, so I came a visitin' from the Low Down.

A drummer I recently met just bought a Premier kit with 8 Sabian cymbals at an estate sale for $300. Sweet Deal! Occasionally there's a steal, and sometimes it's stolen, but there are definitely good deals. Come think of it, one of my bass playing friends has a pawn shop amp & Music-Go-Round speaker. Happy shopping!

I'll scurry back to the Low Down now.

- Matt W.

The most famous garage sale drum find of all time.... Neil Peart's Slingerland snare. He bought that thing for a few bucks at a garage sale many years ago and he made a couple of minor modifications to it. (I think he sanded it down and refinished it, and maybe had the bearing edges recut, but don't quote me on that).

He liked it so much that it ended up being the the only snare he used for almost every record that Rush recorded up until recent years when Neil switched to DW. Now he brings like twenty different snares with him to the studio.

He tells stories of how he has tried, in vein, over the years to duplicate the sound of that snare with other snares. He had bought similar Slingerland snares and modified them every which way he could and never was able to duplicate the sound of "the one" as he like to call it.

As for my own personal experience... I have never bought any drum gear at a garage sale or pawn shop, however I did recently "steal" an entire set of Audix D series drum mics from a pawn shop for about half of what they cost new... and they were in mint condition and probably less than a year old.

Archived