Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland HandSonic? Any one own one?

djarrett

I am playing some gigs with Tom Roady in the last few weeks, and he is using a Roland Hand Sonic for all his percussion. IT IS FRIGGIN' AWESOME.

Anyone out there own one? What has your experience been? Are the relatively easy to use? Where is the best priced place to buy one?

DJ

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a drummer, but I LOVE these things. I end up beating on it like a maniac when I see one. The cheapest I have seen them is about $850 new (8thstreet.com). They are great for someone wanting to create beats who is not a drummer...

I keep my eyes out on eBay, but they seem to alway creep up to near $800 used.

I think they are very easy to use, btw. Real logical layout. I am not sure about the depth as an alternate midi controller, but I know you can also hook pedals up to it really easily...

Not a drummer, but I LOVE these things. I end up beating on it like a maniac when I see one. The cheapest I have seen them is about $850 new (8thstreet.com). They are great for someone wanting to create beats who is not a drummer...

I keep my eyes out on eBay, but they seem to alway creep up to near $800 used.

I think they are very easy to use, btw. Real logical layout. I am not sure about the depth as an alternate midi controller, but I know you can also hook pedals up to it really easily...

It is a great device. A bit dense in terms of deep programming but you get used to it. Very intuitive in terms of light, broadstroke programming. Sounds are great and the feel is magnificent. You can play this like it is the real thing and it will respond accordingly. I have used mine on a bunch of gigs and I am always glad that I brought it along. I got it on ebay for about $650 - which seemed to be the average selling price at that time.

recommended!

Ed

Ed Mann

• 3 weeks later...

the SPD20 is very good also, though geared more towards the use of sticks, which is fine by me.

i like the hand-sonic but the expense isnt too justified just yet.

i use the SPD20 to trigger my MPC which is where i load all my custom sounds.

whats with roland and their bizzarely horrible sound banks on these units??? whats the point of all those "baZOINGaaaaaaa" fx sounds and stuff? what a waste of ROM.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived