Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you guys think of the DW collector series drums??

webe123

I have heard that these were some of the best drums when it comes to accoustic drums. What do you guys think of them?? The first time I saw a set was on a video of the Eagles: Hell freezes over tour. They had a set on stage. (I am a guitar player by the way, but may purchase my own set in the future!) If I am going to go with a set, I want to go right to the top! I have already had my years of "beginner instruments" when I went through the guitar stage.(been playing guitar for 23 years....so I am no stranger to professional quality instruments and the pricetag they come with!) Now I just want to start out with the best! I know that Pearl and Tama and Yamaha make good kits also, but to me, I seem to be looking more and more tword the DW Collectors series! They just seem to be better made..... although I admit a LOT more expensive! You can usually find a good deal on a six piece tom set including snare (what I want) on ebay for half of what they sell in stores! So....asking real drummers......what do you guys think of these drums?? Just curious. By the way, the set in the collectors series I REALLY want, is the "Timeless Timbre" set. That is the one made out of 300 to 400 year old wood that came from the bottom of lake superior! It is a gorgous set! They only made 100 of those! I think it is a seven piece set including snare! Anyway, that is my dream set...I want the ones made out of MAPLE...I have seen some timeless timbers made out of birch, but I prefer the maple sound! So let me know what your opinions are! Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just went through a similar situation- guitarist/bassist looking for a nice set of acoustic drums for the home studio.

Long story short, I was gonna get a super high-end kit like the DW, but reality set in and I ended up buying a Gretsch Catalina (a mid level export kit) and it works great.

BTW- I've been checking DW on ebay the past few months and it seems they sell cheaper than new, but not much. Good luck!

:wave:

my band: Mission 5

WeBe:

Collector Series is what I play. I get more complements from sound engineers when I play out. They have a deep resonant quality that just allow them to sing!

I know the sound you are talking about in the Eagle's Tour. I also saw FleetWood Mack and Mick was using the same set (his were Timeless Timbers!) and they sounded awesome.

I do not think you have to stretch up to the Timeless set to get the sound you are looking for, however ... the Timeless set is a good investment.

Hope this helps,

DJ

Originally posted by djarrett:

WeBe:

Collector Series is what I play. I get more complements from sound engineers when I play out. They have a deep resonant quality that just allow them to sing!

I know the sound you are talking about in the Eagle's Tour. I also saw FleetWood Mack and Mick was using the same set (his were Timeless Timbers!) and they sounded awesome.

I do not think you have to stretch up to the Timeless set to get the sound you are looking for, however ... the Timeless set is a good investment.

Hope this helps,

DJ

Thanks djarret! I was hoping to get a response from an actual DW Drumset owner! I have heard the same responses as yours pretty much when it comes to sound.....most have said that just getting a collectors series would give me the same sound as the timbers. What are your drum sizes on your set if you don't mind me asking??

My drums are what are known in the DW world as "fast" sizes:

8X10

9X12

10X13

12X15

18X20

snares:

6X10 side snare

5X 13

5X 14

The set is ebony satin oil

I just can't get enough of it!

Thanks,

DJ

I own DW collectors series. All I can say is for me they are the best sounding drums out there. For what it's worth, I used to play Tama Artstar IIs'. They sounded great but the DW's just had a "punchy" sound that I could not get from any other drum I auditioned.

DW customer service is about as good as any company can get. I can not say enough great things about their responsiveness in helping with problems and replacing parts that might be broken or defective.

Take it with a grain of salt. Everyone has their own idea of what their ideal sound is. I wouldn't say DW's are "better" than other competitors... they just had a sound quality that I personally liked better than anything else.

Archived