Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How often do you practice?

djarrett

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going through a phase now where I practice in small increments of 7 or 8 times a day for small amounts of time, anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. Don't know why I'm doing it but it's kinda fun. All together I'm probably practicing about 1.5 hours a day.

I hate to admit that I never practice. If I have new tunes to learn for various gigs (I freelance with several groups) or some material for a session, I will sit down with a kit and a set of phones and spend whatever time I need to pull off the gig/session (although it is sometimes not enough time).

Since I've been playing for about 45 years and gigging steady the last 35, I maintain most of my chops (but I must admit maintaining ain't the same as getting better). I most certainly don't have the chops I had when I was playing 6 -7 nights per week (I can't go out on a limb trying to pull off some of the complex fills that i could do at one time - although in hind sight some of those fills were likely in poor taste and sometimes wrong for the songs ) However, at this point in my "career" more practise wouldn't get me more gigs - although it could make me feel better about myself.

When I do have some actual practice time I prefer to work on my keyboard or guitar chops (and now I'm trying to learn banjo and fiddle).

But djarrett is very correct that there is never enough time for practise.

djarrett,

I could pratice 10 hours a day and still not have the technique Buddy did. None of the things I've read about his younger days really mentions if or how much he practiced, but given that he was child Vaudeville performer - I suspect he did practice alot when he was young. I'm sure he had a lot of natural talent - but nobody can have technique like he had without some practice!!!!

I suspect as he got older he had already hit his peak and had no real need or desire to practice.

• 2 weeks later...
About everyday for 1-3 hours

"Without music, life would be a journey through a desert"

I'm just a low frequency 2nd harmonic kind of guy :P

"He's not afraid of your judgements he knows of horrors worse than your hell, he's a little bit afraid of dying but he's alot more afraid of your lying"

Archived