Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

V Drum help needed

GZsound

This may have been covered here before, but we just hired a drummer with a set of V drums and his bass drum has stopped working properly. It stops triggering when he hits it hard.

We found the foam piezo cones at Musicians Friend for $4.99 and installed a new one of those. Still does it. We changed heads, still does it.

The questions I have are (1) if the piezo can fail or start losing sensitivity? And (2) anybody know where I can pick up another piezo and the foam that sits in the center of the drum?

thanks..

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you try a different cord and pluging into a different jack?

Those are just cheapy cords and jacks on those things, that are exposed to plenty of accidental bumping. Hopefully, it's just the stupid cord.

The difficult thing with Edrums is that it's tough to tell when things are cutting in and out since the drum sounds are so short.

If it isn't one of those things then it's almost certainly the trigger. In that regard you are on your own -I don't know what kind Roland uses. I do have to wonder how simple the fix might be. Can't be THAT difficult!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Thanks..we have tried just about everything except changing the jack. We did plug another drum into the bass drum cord and it worked fine.

And in this case it is real easy to tell if it is working or not. He hits the bass drum hard and nothing comes out..

I have my local music instrument repair place getting me a couple of piezo's and the foam center piece. It's just interesting how hard it is to find information on parts for the Roland V kit. I wonder how many potential purchasers know they will be left all alone if parts are needed?

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

GZ,

I have actually experienced this phenomena when the sensitivity is set too high, ... or too low. It is a clipping effect. Additionally, believe it or not ... (cause this is the old heel up, heel down arguement), but I have seen this happen for a heel up player.

If you play the pad with a light strike, and get a tone with each strike, ... and then play with a hard stroke and get missed or no tone, ... one of the above may be your problem.

Hope this helps,

DJ

DJ is right...

I just got the new V-Stage, and I had to spend almost an hour twiddling with the curves on the kick to make it respond to my foot right; no double taps, but I don't have to bash it to get sound either.

It sounds to me like your drummer is experienceing what I did with mine right out of the box. Adjust the sensitivity, see if it helps...

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

You are probably experiencing a crosstalk problem. This can happen when hitting one pad sends vibrations to another and triggers the other pad. If your cross talk setting is too high on one of the pads, you can experience elimination of one or more of the trigger sounds. For instance, when I first got my Vdrums, I had the crosstalk setting too high between one of my crash cymbals and the bass drum. Every once in a while, when I would strike both at the same time, my bass drum would fail to trigger. Playing with the crosstalk setting fixed the problem immediately. I use a Roland TD-8. I was able to find the answers to this problem and others I've had with being new to Vdrums at:

Vdrum forum

I highly suggest visiting this site for answers. There's a lot of very smart people with lots of Vdrum experience.

Chris

Chris

Archived