Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hart Pro pads w/ Roland TD10?

Allan Speers

I have a Roland V-Session kit, and am considering swirching to Hart professional-series pads.

On another forum, a few people have posted that the Hart Pro-series pads actually feel more like real drums (less "tennis racket" bounce) and have better sensitivity. This was, however, only 2-3 posts, and could easily have been from Hart employees.

today, two drummers I know both said that they thought the Hart pads worked poorly with Roland brains. They each said that the sensitivity and range are hard to adjust, and that the gain is too low no matter how you adjust them. One said that he did prefer the feel of the Hart, while the other actually preferred the slight extra bounce that the rolands provide.

I can't find a local dealer that has Hart drums in stock, so there's no way I can try them. i do prefer the LOOK of the Harts. Also, this is for studio use (many different drummers.) Therefore, IF the Harts feel closer to real drums, without any other problems, they would be a better choice.

I'm looking for some more opinions.

I'm not concerned about cymbals, (I am quite sure that the Roland's are superior,) just kick, toms, and snare. I'd also like to know if the Hart's work well with the TD10's positional sensing.

-Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I would never say anything bad about Hart pads (I know Peter Hart), ... it has been my exerience that brains work better with the pads that were designed for that system.

There are sensitivity issues with different systems using different pickups (or triggers).

You could face yourself with mis-firing on sounds, or repeat strokes that you did not even play.

I am only speaking from my years on the Percussion Retail sales floor.

Just my little two cents.

Thanks,

DJ

djarrett,

that's a valid point, but Hart has set-up info specifically for the roland brains on their website. Since they don't make their own brain, and roland is king of the hill, I assume that Roland-compatability is important to them. -but that's what I'm trying to find out. I really need feedback from people who have actually tried this.

Here's a related question:

Does anyone feel that the Roland V-pads are too bouncy? Would a drummer who is not used to them have trouble adjusting in a studio situation? I realize that they can be tightened somewhat, but I also know that if the V-pads are tightened too much, the sensitivity and response begins to fall off. (this was told to me by the guy who designed them.)

I've got a set of V-Drums with the TD-10. I've also taken my TD-10 to another studio that used Hart pads and triggered the TD-10.

I agree with djerrett that any manufacturers brain tends to work best with the pads designed for that module. However, I've had good luck with Hart pads. The Hart pads do seem to trigger well with most of the modules I tried Roland, Alesis & Yamaha.

Naturally, anytime you connect a new pad you will have to tweak the sensitivity /response settings.

I have always felt the response on the Roland mesh pads were a little to "bouncy" - however you can "tune" the heads to remove some of that bounce, however you then have to tweak the reponse to adjust to that new feel.

Can a drummer get use to the V-Drum pads in the studio? In my humble opinion (I've played many different e-drums and dozens and dozens of accoustic drums, and worked in a drum shop for several years) any drummer worth his/her salt should be able to quickly adjust to the feel of the V-Drums.

However, e-drums vs. accoustic is no different than accoustic vs. electric guitar (or keyboards) - they are a different instrument which require a different technique (example - you can't and shouldn't bash on e-drums the why you may on accoustic (candidly, players who bash on accoustics simply have not mastered technique).

I've got a set of V-Drums with the TD-10. I've also taken my TD-10 to another studio that used Hart pads and triggered the TD-10.

I agree with djerrett that any manufacturers brain tends to work best with the pads designed for that module. However, I've had good luck with Hart pads. The Hart pads do seem to trigger well with most of the modules I tried Roland, Alesis & Yamaha.

Naturally, anytime you connect a new pad you will have to tweak the sensitivity /response settings.

I have always felt the response on the Roland mesh pads were a little to "bouncy" - however you can "tune" the heads to remove some of that bounce, however you then have to tweak the reponse to adjust to that new feel.

Can a drummer get use to the V-Drum pads in the studio? In my humble opinion (I've played many different e-drums and dozens and dozens of accoustic drums, and worked in a drum shop for several years) any drummer worth his/her salt should be able to quickly adjust to the feel of the V-Drums.

However, e-drums vs. accoustic is no different than accoustic vs. electric guitar (or keyboards) - they are a different instrument which require a different technique (example - you can't and shouldn't bash on e-drums the why you may on accoustic (candidly, players who bash on accoustics simply have not mastered technique).

freelance,

I would be grateful to hear more of your thoughts on this:

If the sensitivity of the TD10 is optimized for the Hart pads, do the Hart's trigger as well as the Roland pads? better? Is there perhaps less dynamic range since the head moves less? How well does positional-sensing work with the Hart pads?

If the tension of the Roland pads is tightened, can they get close to the feel of the Hart pads? When the V-pads are very tight, can you still get acceptable sensitivity and triggering, or is some dynamic range lost no matter how the brain is set? (I've been told that this is a problem)

Last, if you were to start from scratch, would you go with hart or V-pads?

-thanks.

Allan,

I should first qualify that while I have had good luck with Hart pads, I have much more experiance with the Roland pads (and Yamaha pads) than the Harts.

That being said, I do feel the Roland PD100 & PD120 pads do track better (with the TD10)than the Harts. - in particular with tbings like buzz rolls and ghost notes.

I have been able to get Hart pads to track 1/4 notes thru 1/32 notes with no false triggering, etc. but the subtle dynamics were not as true with the TD10 - compared to the Roland pads. This is not to say the Hart pads suck - I just think the engineered design of the Roland pads and the TD10 provides the best overall dynamic tracking.

I've heard great things about ddrums - but alas have never actually played any.

Regarding if I could do it over would I go with Hart or Roland - I have to say Roland, for three reasons.

1. They do seem to work a little better with the TD10 (which I think is a great module) and every little bit helps

2. I have had good luck with a lot of Roland gear (numerous keyboards & modules) and they have always worked well - and Roland cutomer service has been very good (on rare occasions when I need them).

3. When I worked in a drum shop (for almost 4 years) I saw a Roland V-drum set played every day for about 6-8 hours per day (customers love playing these things)which probably was 8,000 hours (2000 gigs worth???) and they held up to every hit they took.

I simply have not had enough hands on with Hart pads to determine if they hold up as well as the Rolands do.

Archived