Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP WITH BEGINNER DRUMMER!!!

shniggens

AAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Maybe it's because I'm a keyboard player that I'm so anal :D Or so hell bent on theory . . .

It seems to me the best way to learn music is to actually study and understand music. WHY ARE PEOPLE SO RELUCTANT TO ACTUALLY LEARN MUSIC?

Anyway, my roomate and drummer can play excellent 4/4 time . . . wow. He is just beginning, but he seems to not have the desire to take the time to learn anything besides simple time sigs. He also does not seem to think that counting out rhythms is important.

For instance, I was trying to work out a 5/8 Latin Feel kinda thingy with him yesterday (which was completely new rhythm to him), and he did not want to count it out. I was trying to have him subdivide it 1-2-3-1-2 , but he thought that he would just try to "get the feel" for it instead.

Well, that led to him doing some kind of funky variation on 4/4 (since that's all he's used to), and it was throwing him off completely.

So, whaddya think, drummers!?!?! Am I overemphasizing the need for theoretical practice? Is counting out the rhythms an essential part of the learning curve?

Or am I just an impatiant asshole? ;)

Amateur Hack

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might fall into that way of thinking that you describe too. I play by ear and can't read music. I have taken lessons for two months and became bored with it. I ended up doing things on my own and practiced and practiced the rhythms or copied what I heard on the recording for the example.

I think it is necessary to know the patterns for the different rhythms to be able to get with the groove el-pronto.

It was not or still is the way that I would do it. But that's me. I bet you if you give him a CD with some latin rhythums on it he would be able to copy it pretty good.

I play keys, bass and guitar the same way. Don't know how the cord is developed but can get combination Jazz block cords to come out together pretty good in a song. :freak:

Just my thoughts. Interesting question.

Jazzman :cool:

Many self taught drummers have trouble trying to actually pursue formal study (it's very hard to unlearn bad technique etc. once it's ingrained).

My gut feeling it that your drummer is a little insecure and "afraid". It can be difficult for a self taught musician (in particular someone younger or with limited experiance) to accept advice or critque from an "educated" musician.

I was self taught (many, many years ago) and only after working with "educated mucicians' for a while (which made me realize I did need some theory, etc) did I force myself to take some lessons and learn to count, etc.

If you think it's worth your time and friendship, try to keep working with him - if not nicely explained that his limitation are holding you back, and look for a different drummer - maybe that will give him some incentive

Here is my take on it: I was slow to learn music theory. My teachers claim it was because I also had trouble with math!

Know how to play drums but not knowing music theory ... is like being able to speak English, but not knowing how to write!

You can still play (and in many cases kick ass on the drums), but you cannot speak the language with other musicians that do read. Why short-change yourself? Now, some of you may disagree, but I am not speaking hard-core here. Some drummers need to be spoon-fed theory. I was (and sometimes still am) that drummer!

You are only improving yourself.

My thoughts.

DJ

Archived