Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How consistant are today's cymbals?

DC

I really need some better hi hats and another crash and there's really not much in the way of stores that stock anything around here. I was wondering if you've tried multiple identical cymbals of any brand that all sounded pretty good or useable? My application will be recording only so I'm mainly interested thinner smaller ones.

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cymbals by reputable brands are very consistant -to a certain extent... No two cymbals sound exactly alike -you need to understand that.

However, I would never fork over the cash for a set of hats that I had never played. That's too much of a risk for such an important voice on a drumset. Sounds like you need to plan a road trip! Get some buddies together and make a day of it! :thu:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I think it depends on the brand. Some brands are so consistent you could ALMOST buy them mail order. But not really. Other brands (I am thinking of one that starts with Z) are notoriously inconsistent.

I find that inconsistency to be the glory of cymbals. Think "unique" instead of "inconsistent" and you will see what I mean. It's hard work shopping for a new cymbal- I bring one of my old ones with me to help me match them. I drive the sales people crazy. But when that work is done I feel I have something that is mine.

Super 8 is right, get in the car or even hop on a plane. Some companies will sell stuff at the factory.

Well, for sure this matter warrants about as many opinions as there are posters here.

I have found that with Zildjian and Sabian top of the line cymbals, the pleasure of the inconsistancies allow you to find "sweet" cymbals. When you get in the middle of the road cymbals by these two manufacterers, you can notice alot of consistancy.

Now, I have played Paiste Signatures in the past (and loved them), and always found that they were very consistantly sweet!

This really becomes a matter of opinion.

Hope this helps.

DJ

Paiste use to market that thier cymbals were so consistant you could replace a 16" thin crash with another and notice no difference.

I don't know if this applied to all lines - I think it applied to the lines up to and including the Signature series. I don't recall seeing any recent marketing that continues that claim.

Candidly, I don't want a cymabl that sounds just like someone else. I want cymbals that work with my other cymbals and fit "my sound".

I have used the Sabian hand hammered for a few years now, the hammer points create interesting overtones and harmonics since they "re-direct" the vibrations of the metal.

I visited the Sabian factory a few years back and learned alot about the dynamics of cymbal making. Visiting the Sabian cymbal vault and "hand picking" some cymbals was like being one cloud from heaven.

As DJ said, the better end of the spectrum is consistantly inconsistant, it allows you to pick your own voice.

However, the many cymbal packs out there are pretty darn consistant. I just went through a whole bunch of them to get a set for my nephew, and I couldn't believe how close one pack was to another marked the same.

I would also say, consistancy can be defined several ways. For example, Paiste Signatures have a sound that is very much characteristic to that line of cymbals due to their formulation. So if you were going to buy a set of sound edge Signatures, all the SE sets have similar characteristics from set to set but the timbre does change from one set to the next. A these differences are noticed based upon your stick size and tip structure along with where upon the hat you tend to want to play.

Originally posted by DC:

Thanks for the responses everyone.

P.Sound, I'd be interested in the brand and model of the cymbal packs you checked out.

Literally everything that I'm aware of on the market for Paiste, Sabian and Zildjan. What would you like to know?

Today's cymbals, by and large, suck. A perfect complement to today's drum sounds.

Although there are oddball things you won't find at the banjo center that are handmade and hand lathed and hand hammered and all that, and yes some are better than others for a given purpose. So you'd want to try them yourself.

Screw the big 3.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

P.Sound, I guess what I'm looking for is a cymbal pack consisting of thinner smaller cymbals.

My kit is a small 60s Ludwig set (20" kick, 12" rack tom, 14" floor tom) and it's not very loud so would there be a pack that would cater to recording and match each other well? I like cymbals with lots of treble and little if any gong type ringing tone if that makes any sense.

Are there any good quality packs with say 13" hats, a 14" thin crash and maybe an 18" ride or crash/ride?

Right now my hats are very old Zildjian 12"s. I don't think they were even intended for hats, although they are great little crash/splash guys. Had loads of drummers try to talk me out of them. I've got a 16" Zildjian thin crash that's not bad and a 20" Paste 800 ride that's gong city unless you barely tap it. Also a small china that's cool once in a while and a 14" Ludwig by Paste nasty thing that I believe used to come with the drum kits ages ago.

A matched cymbal pack might be just what I need if it's geared for subtle recording and not loud smashing stage volume type situations.

Thanks everyone for your time.

Well, Paise make a Akpha Session set that has 13" hats, and as I recall and 802 series with 13" hats, both sets consist of thinner cymbals. To my ear, at the $400 set level, the Sabian AAX line is a preferance over the Paiste offerings, and nothing Zildjian makes in the ZBT/ZXT/Garbage can lines are worth owning.

I really think you need to move yourself towards the better end if you want to do small hats, rides and crashes and find a way to get out there a play some because the packs are designed for guys who are just starting or re-entering the drum market and haven't a clue of what they are looking for.

Archived